all threads All Threads ›› Bernie Sanders ›› new reply Post Reply
Rats in the walls

crush, kill, destr
1,170 Posts
34/M/NY

offline   (1)
July 3 2015 1:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
serious contender or warm-up act?

Sanders with his son at a 1971 meeting of The Vermont Freeman in Burlington, Vt.

Bernie Sanders was born on September 8, 1941 in Flatbush, Brooklyn, New York, to Eli and Dorothy (Glassburg) Sanders. His father immigrated to the United States from Poland, and much of his family was killed in the Holocaust. His mother was born in New York.

Sanders attended elementary school at P.S. 197 in Brooklyn, where he won a state championship on the basketball team. Sanders's mother died in June 1959 at the age of 46 shortly after Sanders graduated from James Madison High School. Sanders went to Brooklyn College for a year before transferring to the University of Chicago. While there, he was active in the Civil Rights Movement, and a student organizer for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. One of the actions he took was the coordination of sit-in protests against segregated campus housing. Sanders also participated in the 1963 March on Washington. He graduated from the University of Chicago with a bachelor of arts degree in political science in 1964.

Sanders began his political career in Vermont in 1971 by becoming a member of the Liberty Union Party, which originated in the anti-war and people's party movement. He ran as the Liberty Union candidate for governor in 1972 and 1976 and as a candidate for senator in 1972 and 1974. In the 1974 race, Sanders finished third (5,901; 4.1%) behind the victor, 33-year-old Chittenden County State’s Attorney Patrick Leahy (D, VI; 70,629; 49.4%), and two-term incumbent U.S. Representative Dick Mallary (R; 66,223; 46.3%). In 1979, Sanders resigned from the party and worked as a writer and the director of the nonprofit American People's Historical Society.

Mayor of Burlington

In 1981, at the suggestion of his friend Richard Sugarman, a professor of religion at the University of Vermont, Sanders ran for mayor of Burlington and defeated six-term Democratic incumbent Gordon Paquette by 10 votes in a four-way contest. Sanders won three more terms, defeating both Democratic and Republican candidates. In his final run for mayor in 1987, Sanders defeated a candidate endorsed by both major parties.

During Sanders's first term, his supporters, including the first Citizens Party City Councilor Terry Bouricius, formed the Progressive Coalition, the forerunner of the Vermont Progressive Party. The Progressives never held more than six seats on the 13-member city council but had enough votes to keep the council from overriding Sanders's vetoes. Under Sanders, Burlington became the first city in the country to fund community-trust housing.

Sanders's administration balanced the city budget, and drew a minor league baseball team, the Vermont Reds, to Burlington. The Sanders administration also "sued the local cable franchise and won reduced rates for customers."

As mayor, Sanders "undertook ambitious downtown revitalization projects"; one signature achievement was the improvement of Burlington's Lake Champlain waterfront. In 1981, Sanders campaigned against the unpopular plans by Tony Pomerleau, a Burlington developer, to convert the then-industrial waterfront property owned by the Central Vermont Railway into expensive condominiums, hotels, and offices. Sanders ran under the slogan "Burlington is not for sale" and successfully supported a plan that redeveloped the waterfront area into a mixed-use district featuring housing, parks, and public space. This was greatly assisted by a 1989 Vermont Supreme Court ruling that under a legal provision, Central Vermont Railroad could only use the land for "railroad, wharf, and storage purposes"; 35 acres of railroad land reverted to the city. Today, the waterfront area includes miles of public beach and bike paths, along with a boathouse, many parks and a science center. In 2015, Sanders announced his candidacy for president at Waterfront Park.

After serving four terms, Sanders chose not to seek reelection in 1989. He briefly taught political science at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government that year and at Hamilton College in 1991.

In 1990, Sanders became the first independent elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 40 years, since Frazier Reams of Ohio. Thereafter Sanders continually won reelection with high margins, with his closest bid in 1994 during the Republican Revolution, when he won by 3.3 percentage points with 49.8% of the vote.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
62/M/MA

offline   (9)
July 3 2015 4:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
If he sticks with it, I think at the very least he could open elections up for more liberal candidates to have a real chance of winning.

Then again, Pessimistic as I am, I don't discount the idea that he could actually win.
blackeyes
100%
47,267 Posts
33/M/AK

offline   (3)
July 3 2015 4:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
he has zero chance of winning.
Brett Weir
im gay
45,340 Posts
35/M/NY

offline  mobile reply   (8)
July 3 2015 8:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
viable. I'm gonna volunteer for his campaign.
the cat
numetal/juggalo
7,487 Posts
36/M/DC

offline   (5)
July 7 2015 7:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Initially I was skeptical, but the amount of successes he's having so far is surreal. People basically know this country is rigged pretty hard. He's not an ideal candidate by any means, his support of the occupation of Palestine is a good example of why, but he's the best I've seen. I volunteered for his campaign.
i can jump
you like cheese
1,646 Posts
65/N/A/AK

online   (5)
July 7 2015 9:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
go trump
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
62/M/MA

offline   (9)
July 9 2015 11:22 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: the cat

Initially I was skeptical, but the amount of successes he's having so far is surreal. People basically know this country is rigged pretty hard. He's not an ideal candidate by any means, his support of the occupation of Palestine is a good example of why, but he's the best I've seen. I volunteered for his campaign.

If he gets to debate Clinton I think he might just get the nomination.
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (8)
September 28 2015 3:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Bernie is now polling within 7 points of Clinton nationally. This is without a single debate, and 30 percent of the electorate not having a clue who he is. He has now passed Obama's polling numbers in 2007, and also passed his grassroots campaign in number of volunteers and donations.

Bernie Sanders will be our next president. Bank on it.
blackeyes
100%
47,267 Posts
33/M/AK

offline   (3)
September 28 2015 5:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm backing off my zero chance comment but Biden seems to be polling pretty well despite not officially running, if you take him out of the mix I think the majority of his votes are going to Clinton. In fact what I see happening is Biden entering, drumming up moderate support before dropping out and endorsing Clinton, giving her an even bigger bump.

Or Clinton supporters realize she is crumbling and pressure Biden to run, who I think has a much better appeal than Clinton at this point. I think if Biden were officially in the race now both he and Hillary would be ahead of Sanders.

There's still a lot of work to do.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
62/M/MA

offline   (9)
September 28 2015 10:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, I get the feeling Biden is there mostly so the debate can focus on something besides Sanders v. Hillary.
ScrewFlanders
nah im alright
3,871 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (6)
September 30 2015 8:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
IMO, hes the only viable candidate.
Bashar al-Asad
In sha'Allah
38,210 Posts
46/M/PA

offline   (11)
October 16 2015 9:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
GoodTimesGone
cubic time cube
51,395 Posts
44/F/ND

offline  mobile reply   (57)
February 29 2016 7:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
no iframes
bearded brooklyn douche
hipsterpocalypse
66 Posts
29/M/NA

offline   (1)
July 28 2016 9:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
blackeyes
100%
47,267 Posts
33/M/AK

offline   (3)
July 30 2016 6:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Bashar al-Asad
In sha'Allah
38,210 Posts
46/M/PA

offline   (11)
July 30 2016 7:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lol id never vote for either a jew or a woman so im going to sit this election out
all threads All Threads ›› Bernie Sanders ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Bernie Sanders

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?