forum Dorks R Us ›› E3 2015 discussion ›› new reply Post Reply
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,438 Posts
35/M/MD

offline  mobile reply     (6)
June 18 2015 7:35 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Is the backwards compatibility thing really that big of a deal though? The reason I say this is because when I bought my PS3 years ago, I got it before they removed backwards compatibility from them. I was told by so many people that it was worth so much more and that it was more desirable because you could play your old PS2 games on it. Do you know how many PS2 games I played after I got the PS3? Zero. After a couple of years, I sold off all of my PS2 stuff and never looked back (until I realized that I couldn't play Silent Hill 2 & 3 or Metal Gear 2 & 3 anymore). I bought a PS4 a while back and again... I never even looked at my PS3 shit... so I sold it all.

Maybe I'm a different breed, but once I get the new shit... the old shit just collects dust.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,035 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
June 18 2015 8:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I would say so. There are a lot of people that haven't jumped ship because of the lack of games (which really isn't that much of an issue now) and because they can't play their old games on the new system. I know that I waited forever to make the upgrade because I was bummed that I'd never be able to play Gears Of War again (or atleast at the time). The fact that people can keep all their old games to revisit anytime they want is pretty big. Especially since it's basically the top 100 games that are available.

I wish I knew that this was coming because I would have held onto some of my old games rather than purge everything 360 related when I made the upgrade.

I think the new controller is a big deal too because of it's programmability. It reminds me a lot of keyboard setups for shit like WOW. The initial $150 price tag is a bit much for me right now, but it's definitely geared for the really hardcore gamers.

The Oculus stuff has potential to be huge. If I can start playing my games while I'm taking a dump, I might grab a cooler and never leave the bathroom again.

I say Xbox won this year mostly because they announced more things to enhance the console instead of just announcing some games. If Sony unveiled atleast one new item to improve the system, you'd have an argument because fans of the console would be stoked.
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,438 Posts
35/M/MD

June 18 2015 9:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I totally understand why people would be jazzed about it, because I was as well when I first got my PS3. I just never used it for old games. There are a few here and there that I'd love to go back and play again... but I have enough new PS4 games that I don't really even care about the old stuff anymore. Hell... I have 2 PS4 games I haven't even played yet. I bought them because Target was having a crazy sale. Next week the new Batman comes out... so that'll occupy my time for a while. This fall, Fallout 4 and Battlefront are out... so I just wouldn't have the time to play old games.

Clearly this is a subjective opinion, I just wouldn't think that backwards compatibility would be a huge marketing point like it is.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,035 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
June 18 2015 9:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
What I'm curious to know is if the games I downloaded on XBL since having a gold account now gets you access to a free game or two each month, will I be able to re-download that game for free and continue where I left off? I downloaded Darksiders II and got most of the way through it before I traded in my 360. I'd love to be able to finish that game. It wouldn't require me to have to use a disc, they'd just have to throw it up on the marketplace again.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,049 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 18 2015 10:22 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm hoping the old XBL Arcade games from the 360 get transferred over as well.

I want that new controller as well because of the pucks underneath....the price is pretty much on par with existing controllers that are all ready out there for the system made by 3rd party vendors.
tom.
^__^
62,525 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (5)
June 18 2015 11:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i still go back and play fo3 and bioshock 1&2 from time to time, so i'm stoked about backwards compatibility.
imo, story-telling has been slightly downhill in recent releases. i don't care for the assassin's creed, destiny, and many of these other new story lines that i've been trying to get into. it seems that whenever a new console launches, they put out these graphic focused shooters first to sort of shock and awe consumers. the only game i'd give a 10/10 to so far on my ps4 is the last of us remastered and that's a legacy ps3 game.
witcher has been pretty cool so far, but i can only get into fantasy shit so far before my nerd meter peaks and i feel the immediate need to drink a beer and talk to girls.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,035 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
June 18 2015 11:58 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'll definitely agree with the AC games losing their storyline. I get that it's all to connect Altair to the present but at the same time, the way each game ends and a storyline effectively ends, I can't seem to see how it plays into the bigger picture. The way the series is presented, the games could go on forever before you get a definitive ending and I don't know that I like that. I'm only like 15% through Unity and if I can stay into it, I'll give Syndicate a shot but if I don't feel any closer to the endgame, then I might back out and just read the synopsis of future games to see if/how the story progressed.

As for Destiny, they made it clear from the beginning that the game was going to be huge. 4 releases over 10 years or something like. Of course the first game's campaign is going to be missing something. You are only 25% into the story. I like that the DLC stuff expands the campaign and not just the online play. I just don't like that it appears to cost a lot of money when it's all said and done.

I though Dying Light had a solid story. It was just that the gameplay was a bit repetitive.
tom.
^__^
62,525 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (5)
June 18 2015 12:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah, dying light was the only game that even had me consider xb1. destiny is repetitive as all hell and it's basically the new halo which is probably the biggest title that i just never cared for so i know i'm in the minority here.

unrelated, i really hope naughty dog comes up with something awesome and makes last of us 2 because that game was fucking incredible.
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,438 Posts
35/M/MD

June 18 2015 12:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
The Last of Us was one of the best games I've ever played.
forum Dorks R Us ›› E3 2015 discussion ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: E3 2015 discussion

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?