forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Running trails ›› new reply Post Reply
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,438 Posts
35/M/MD

offline  mobile reply     (6)
November 26 2012 1:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
There are tons of trails down here, Wren. Come get me in shape.
Strange Dong
8===D
5,619 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (10)
November 26 2012 1:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
By my parents house.....not even a block away are trails to run and off road bike on.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,085 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
November 27 2012 7:07 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Maryland Matt

There are tons of trails down here, Wren. Come get me in shape.

anytime you want.

but you also need to hit the weights, slacker!
JustCan'tHateEnough
Some kind of hate
1,180 Posts
39/M/TX

offline  mobile reply   (13)
November 27 2012 11:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've always contemplated running a marathon. I run at least 3 times a week but run more for speed than distance. Do you think if I trained for distance it would hurt my speed? As of now I can knock out 8 miles pretty easily.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,085 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
November 27 2012 12:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm by no means an expert but this was my experience:

I was able to train speed, lift weights, and crosstrain all while training for my half. I have ideas on how I'm going to tweak that when it comes time to start training for the AC Half Marthon in April.

Most of my weight lifting was strictly for maintenance and to not completely lose my strength in the gym. Alot of real deal runners only do circuit training in the gym and never hit any serious weights. I'm thinking of ditching the traditional weight lifting for more of a crossfit style for the next Half. I will never cut out weight training because I like it too much and I still need to maintain some sort of strength for all my Tough Mudders and Spartans that I want to compete in.

Speed work was either done on a track or a treadmill. Some of my speed works were sprint 100/walk 100 and just repeat that for X amount of times. There were days my speed workout would last 20 minutes and I'd be done. Other times it would be something like setting a specific amount of time on the treadmill and every 5-10 minutes increasing the speed a few notches to the point where I'd be at my max pace at the very end.

Crosstraining was simply just 30-45 minutes on an eliptical, crosstrainer, or stairclimber.

Reading running forums, speed will come natural as your body gets used to time/distance. However, if you are a sprinter and trying to maintain that type of explosion, distance running is only going to hurt that and vice versa. I have specific time goals in mind for my next half and although when it comes time to run my first full I'm more concerned with just finishing, I do have a goal time in mind for that.
JustCan'tHateEnough
Some kind of hate
1,180 Posts
39/M/TX

November 27 2012 12:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm not a sprinter. I run for speed on a mile half or two miles (for work). I run distance 5-10 just for cardio and leg endurance.

I do a lot of cross fit and circuit training. i do lift but not to get huge more for toning and a little size, but every time I hit my goals I just move the weight up.

I have done mudder and jailbreak before. I just don't want to lose what I've worked for just to do a marathon. I would like to do one though it is a physical goal I have for myself. ill have to look into this.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,085 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
November 27 2012 1:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I would take a question like this over to the Runners World forums. They can probably help you alot better than I'll ever be able too.
JustCan'tHateEnough
Some kind of hate
1,180 Posts
39/M/TX

November 27 2012 1:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
The most challenging thing I've ever done has far as this type thing goes is the Bataan death march in new Mexico. If you want a challenge do that. 26.2 miles. I did it with half weight ruck.
(35 lbs) I thought I was gonna die afterwards.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,085 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
November 27 2012 1:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
A co-worker of mine's son ran that a few years ago. But he's on another level. He just ran across the entire US from Venice Beach to Atlantic City. Because of the fires in Colorado, his course was altered to add an addtional 500 miles or something like that and he still beat his projected date of return by like 3 weeks. There were some stretches of days where he was putting in 50+ consecutively.
JustCan'tHateEnough
Some kind of hate
1,180 Posts
39/M/TX

November 27 2012 1:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
That's insane. I honestly couldn't even imagine. Just when I start to feel good about myself there are people like that to knock me down a notch or a hundred.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,085 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
November 27 2012 1:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
He did it for charity too, by the way. You know, just to rub some salt in it.

I don't even worry about people like him. He's definitely an inspiration and I'm a little jealous that I'll never have something like that under my belt but I have my own realistic goals in mind and work for those. I think the only time you should worry about that guy that does something better than you is if you are in the Boston and are currently in 2nd place. Then you should be worrying about that one guy that's ahead of you. Other than that, keep yourself your only opponent.
JustCan'tHateEnough
Some kind of hate
1,180 Posts
39/M/TX

November 27 2012 2:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I agree but im very goal orientated and also hate losing. I know im nowhere near his level. I try to model my self after the special forces troops we have do their workouts etc. When it comes to swimming I'm nowhere close to them.
let me know how your marathon goes and how the training works out.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Running trails ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Running trails

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?