all threads All Threads ›› 97% Greenland ice sheet melts in 4 days ›› new reply Post Reply
Rats in the walls

crush, kill, destr
1,170 Posts
34/M/NY

offline   (1)
July 25 2012 9:50 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

NASA: Sudden Massive Melt in Greenland AP

Ninety-seven per cent of surface ice covering Greenland melted in just four days in July, new Nasa data has revealed.

Nearly every part of the ice cover of Greenland experienced some melting of its surface between 8th and 12th July, according to measurements from three independent satellites analysed by NASA and scientists from the University of Georgia and City University of New York.

"This was so extraordinary that at first I questioned the result: was this real or was it due to a data error?" said Son Nghiem at NASA.

The melting spread quickly. Melt maps derived from the three satellites showed that on July 8, about 40% of the ice sheet's surface had melted. By 12th July, 97% had melted.

This extreme melt event coincided with an unusually strong ridge of warm air, or a heat dome, over Greenland. The ridge was one of a series that has dominated Greenland's weather since the end of May.

"When we see melt in places that we haven't seen before, at least in a long period of time, it makes you sit up and ask what's happening?" NASA chief scientist Waleed Abdalati said.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
62/M/MA

offline   (9)
July 25 2012 12:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
But despite our widespread deforestation, pumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere for over a century, raising billions of ruminant cattle, creating giant paved heat sinks, etc.. etc.. etc... humans couldn't possibly have anything to do with this sort of thing and anyone who believes otherwise is falling for a huge conspiracy hatched by politicians, not the scientists who actually first brought attention to global climate change, to take away our freedom to buy lightbulbs, tax us all to death with taxes that don't exist and haven't been proposed, and other vague New World Odor bullshit.
HippieHooligan
stmulatinterest
5,987 Posts
37/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (6)
July 25 2012 1:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
1. When I first read this, I thought there's no way this is real.

2. I'm surprised this isn't a bigger story.

3. We are fucked.
Peter SteeleyDan
HatesMostThings
19,190 Posts
7/M/NA

offline  mobile reply   (1)
July 25 2012 1:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
This is insane
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
62/M/MA

offline   (9)
July 25 2012 9:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: babydaddy

the amero is comming!

Kill us all and tax our corpses!
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
July 26 2012 1:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: crunkmoose

But despite our widespread deforestation, pumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere for over a century, raising billions of ruminant cattle, creating giant paved heat sinks, etc.. etc.. etc... humans couldn't possibly have anything to do with this sort of thing and anyone who believes otherwise is falling for a huge conspiracy hatched by politicians, not the scientists who actually first brought attention to global climate change, to take away our freedom to buy lightbulbs, tax us all to death with taxes that don't exist and haven't been proposed, and other vague New World Odor bullshit.

all threads All Threads ›› 97% Greenland ice sheet melts in 4 days ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: 97% Greenland ice sheet melts in 4 days

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?