Originally posted by: $teve 3 $tacks

it was a lot better than i expected

ulrikesdream
Time Husk
336 Posts
45/N/A/AK

offline   (3)
November 18 2013 11:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I hardly remember the "first" one. Haven't seen this one, but I will check it.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,456 Posts
40/M/NY

offline   (4)
December 22 2013 11:10 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Jason Voorheees

oh great, so instead of doing a really cool cable tv dredd series, they co-opted karl urban from it and made a shitty vancouver syfy robot cop series. fuck. now it will never happen.

goddamnit.

yeah, this sucks alright. corny, lowbrow, and general audience friendly. kind of like space precinct but with new packaging, less action and no aliens. oh well.

WREN
Pulp Free
52,190 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (20)
December 23 2013 7:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I haven't watched a single second of that show but I thought it was getting some semi-decent reviews
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,456 Posts
40/M/NY

offline   (4)
December 23 2013 9:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
well, there's been 6 episodes so far and i've watched a couple, 3 i think, and i'm not impressed, and i watch crap like this all the time on tv. it has a great cast, that's for sure. wasted on this, but great. he's decent, lily taylor has a huge resume, mackenzie crook is a genius, and 'that other guy that's in everything' is good. but the show.. not so much.

it's a police procedural set in the future, basically a mainstream channel's version of the blade runner future. gee, haven't seen that done verbatim a thousand times before. and while some other syfy shows actually do have long story arcs that elevate the melodrama to some of the interesting questions found in great science fiction writing, there's nothing in this that hasn't been done to death in everything from westworld to the above mentioned blade runner to a.i. to i robot, etc.

robots are neat to look at, neat to think about, but still a pretty weak plot device if there's nothing else. and i do fully expect them to trot out the now standard, stock 'long story arc' scriptwriting as well at some point, but there's no meat to tie it to. and given abrams now growing reputation for 'faking' depth like he did in 'lost', 'alias', 'alcatraz', & 'revolution', i'm not expecting much.

i guess you could say it's alright "for what it is", but i'm already holding it to the pretty low standard of other syfy channel/vancouver-stable-of-talent type shows, and if it's not better than stargate or caprica, it's already dropping below a C-.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,456 Posts
40/M/NY

offline   (4)
February 7 2014 1:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
ok, i just watched the latest episode of that^, and not only is it still generic and lame, but now, in addition to scavenging ideas from i robot and blade runner, they're poaching from judge dredd itself, namely having a wall seperating the nice part of the city from some dangerous outland area. so again, just lame.

it's hard to believe that it really costs that much less for the writer-whores and producers over at fox to poach from a hundred different science fiction stories rather than just pay a little bit in royalties to take one decent one into production. not to mention the fact that the dredd people could use the money and support work; none of them are super rich.

i don't even read a whole lot of science fiction myself anymore and haven't since i was a little kid, so if i'm noticing this much plagarism just from the stuff i read back then, i'm guessing there's a whole lot more going on from stuff i haven't read. fucking awful.
emogeddon
TIGHTDICKPLAYA
24,550 Posts
42/M/PA

offline     (1)
February 7 2014 2:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
almost human is showing all the same set up that fringe did in the first season. at first it was a procedural weekly show and then it went into weird ass territory. i think that the set up for it just showed through and it will get better.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,456 Posts
40/M/NY

offline   (4)
February 7 2014 7:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah, i doubt it, but you never know. fringe was actually a good show, and a lot heavier and better written even as a procedural. this one i think is going to be more like his crap shows like alcatraz and revolution, where they fake just enough depth and weight to keep a wide demographic watching, but continually just revert back to formula. not too happy about the awful attempts at cute comedy so far; that seems like an indication of things to come. but again, who knows.

what i do know is a cinemax dredd series would have been a hundred thousand times better than any of this slop.
TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
33/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (2)
February 7 2014 8:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
2000 AD started a petition to make a sequel to this.
$teve grove
dr. spaceman
23,170 Posts
33/M/OH

offline     (17)
February 9 2014 3:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
almost human is pretty bad on all levels. lily taylor (who i actually like) looks terrible in this and her part generally sucks. then they get minka kelly who is hot as fuck and give her 2 minutes of screen time. every weekly crime has been done a million times over. strapping a bomb on someone and making them rob a bank, murder streamed live on internet, black market organ harvest (not one, but 2 different episodes about this), and the most recent episode where a robot is programmed to find the head of another robot and apparently this other robot head has some evil memories and plans or something? thats like some torchewood bullshit right there. i give up on this show. i just can't anymore.
PatBastard
Abide
1,137 Posts
34/M/NJ

offline  mobile reply     (1)
February 10 2014 11:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't give a shit about Almost Human, but I do give a shit about Karl Urban being Dredd again.

It was so gritty and dirty just like the original 2000ad series. I hope they do many more sequels and maybe get into Judge Death. That'd be sweet.
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
564 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
September 2 2015 4:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
blackeyes
100%
47,163 Posts
32/M/AK

offline   (3)
September 2 2015 4:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote