forum Politics and Society ›› Fox News, conceived under Nixon ›› new reply Post Reply
white trash dirt bag

pass the whore
2,167 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (6)
July 2 2011 7:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

‘Plan for Putting the GOP on TV News’

1970 ‘Plan for Putting the GOP on TV News’

By: Noreen Malone, NY Magazine

Fox News might not have launched until 1996, but Gawker's John Cook dug up a document from the Nixon Library that shows Ailes was mulling the idea much earlier. An unsigned memo found inside a larger cache of documents from Ailes's time as a consultant for both the Nixon and George H.W. Bush White Houses lays out the very detailed plan: a network, possibly run out of the White House, that pushed Republican policies at an estimated start-up cost of $310,000. Ailes wanted to work on the project, which he called "an excellent idea." The White House, or at least H.R. Haldeman, initially agreed, but Ailes left before the project could get started. Obviously, he didn't abandon the idea of right-wing programming.

The memo, entitled “A Plan for Putting the GOP on TV News,” buried in the the Nixon library details a plan between Ailes and the White House to bring pro-administration stories to television networks around the country. It reads: “Today television news is watched more often than people read newspapers, than people listen to the radio, than people read or gather any other form of communication. The reason: People are lazy. With television you just sit—watch—listen. The thinking is done for you.”

It’s just one 15-page section in a 318-page cache John Cook, at Gawker, pulled out from the Richard Nixon and George H.W. Bush libraries.

The documents are a fascinating look in the construction of image building. Even back then, Ailes had his signature impassioned style, writing that they were responsible for the life or death of America.

Cook writes:

The documents show Ailes to be an engaged, brilliant, and often catty adviser with an obsessive, almost evangelical focus on the power of television to manipulate people for political purposes.

The records have been in the public sphere for some time, and much of this information was suggested in the January Esquire profile of Ailes:

“It's a shame a man has to use gimmicks like this to get elected,” Mr. Nixon is supposed to have remarked to Mr. Ailes. “Television is not a gimmick, and if you think it is, you'll lose again,” Mr. Ailes is supposed to have remarked to Mr. Nixon. And there the modern conservative movement — not the ideological entity but the telegenic one — was born.

click here for link
Bashar al-Asad
In sha'Allah
37,558 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (11)
July 2 2011 7:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
if you can't beat em, join em
Erie Ed
Dog pound
20,398 Posts
32/M/OH

offline   (21)
July 3 2011 9:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah I saw this article while it was only up for a few hours. I can't really say I'm surprised that the idea of this came around during Nixon's presidency.
white trash dirt bag
pass the whore
2,167 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (6)
July 6 2016 2:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
smooth operator lol

Fox News Anchor Gretchen Carlson Sues CEO Roger Ailes for Alleged Sexual Harassment and Retaliation

Gretchen Carlson is suing Fox News Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes. According to her court filing, Carlson is alleging that her former employer "Ailes has unlawfully retaliated against Carlson and sabotaged her career because she refused sexual advances and complained about severe and pervasive sexual harassment."

"I have strived to empower women and girls throughout my entire career," Carlson, now 50, said in a statement on Wednesday. "Although this was a difficult step to take, I had to stand up for myself and speak out for all women and the next generation of women in the workplace. I am extremely proud of my accomplishments at Fox News and for keeping our loyal viewers engaged and informed on events and news topics of the day."

Carlson claims the biggest form of Ailes' retaliation was her firing from Fox News on June 23, nine months after allegedly "ostracizing, marginalizing and shunning" the Real Story anchor before suggesting she engage in a sexual relationship with him.

According to the legal filing: "As a direct and proximate result of her refusing his sexual advances and in retaliation for Carlson's complaints about discrimination and harassment, Ailes terminated her employment, causing her significant, emotional and professional harm."

Also under fire in Carlson's filing is former Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy, whom Carlson claims "regularly treat[ed] her in a sexist and condescending way" when they worked together. The lawsuit claims Doocy "engaged in a pattern and practice of severe and pervasive sexual harassment" that was tantamount to treating her as "a blond female prop."

Carlson – a Stanford University graduate and former Miss America – alleges Ailes, now 76, called her a "man hater" when she complained to him in 2009 about Doocy's behavior.

Carlson claims she once again confronted Ailes in a meeting last September, and according to the legal documents: "Ailes stated: 'I think you and I should have had a sexual relationship a long time ago and then you’d be good and better and I'd be good and better,' adding that 'sometimes problems are easier to solve' that way.' "

Carlson alleges that Ailes subsequently "pursued a highly personal agenda" by limiting her assignments and exposure on the network, and ultimately firing her from Fox & Friends in 2013, which resulted in a new time slot and a pay cut.

Carlson's suit claims Ailes urged her to "stop worrying about being treated equally and getting 'offended so God d--- easy about everything.' "

She alleges he asked "her to turn around so he could view her posterior," commented on her body and wardrobe and once told her "she was 'sexy,' but 'too much hard work.' "

Carlson, who has been married to sports agent Casey Close since 1997, is seeking an undisclosed amount for "lost compensation, damaged career path, damage to reputation and pain and suffering damages."

'By and through his creation of a discriminator, hostile and harassing work environment, his demands for sexual favors, and his retaliation against Carlson for her objections to discrimination and retaliation, Ailes has violated the New York City Human Rights Law,' reads the complaint, which was filed in the Superior Court of New Jersey.

Ailes, 76, has been married to Elizabeth Tilson since 1998 and the couple has one child. He allegedly stated that marriage was 'boring,' 'hard,' and 'not much fun' according to claims made by Carlson in her complaint.

forum Politics and Society ›› Fox News, conceived under Nixon ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Fox News, conceived under Nixon

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?