forum Politics and Society ›› Moon Base Alpha ›› new reply Post Reply
Rats in the walls

crush, kill, destr
858 Posts
29/M/NY

offline   (1)
June 11 2011 1:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

I've always wondered why we are even considering a mission to mars when we haven't even established a base on the moon yet, which would be relatively much easier, safer, and more rewarding scientifically, and economically given industrial and mining possibilities, as well as being just a really useful practicum for future exploration elsewhere. I guess i wasn't alone:

"If you asked 100 people why we should return to the moon, you'd probably get 100 answers. Over the past year, NASA posed this question not just to 100 people, but to more than 1,000 from around the world. Scientists, engineers, commercial entrepreneurs, space advocates, and the general public all provided answers to this intriguing question.

Starting with just their responses, NASA worked with 13 of the world's space agencies to develop a Global Exploration Strategy. The strategy explains why the global community believes we should explore space, how space exploration can benefit life on Earth, and how the moon can play a critical role in our exploration of the solar system. One of the primary activities the global space community pursued in 2006 was to answer the questions, "Why should we return to the moon?" and "What do we hope to accomplish through lunar exploration?"

From the answers emerged six common areas of interest – six areas of pursuit which, seen through the eyes of the world, define the value of going to the moon. NASA took these six ideas and worked with other space agencies to develop the following lunar exploration themes. View a video on each theme in the Related Multimedia section below.

Human Civilization
Extend human presence to the moon to enable eventual settlement.

Scientific Knowledge
Pursue scientific activities that address fundamental questions about the history of Earth, the solar system and the universe - and about our place in them.

Exploration Preparation
Test technologies, systems, flight operations and exploration techniques to reduce the risks and increase the productivity of future missions to Mars and beyond.

Global Partnerships
Provide a challenging, shared and peaceful activity that unites nations in pursuit of common objectives.

Economic Expansion
Expand Earth's economic sphere, and conduct lunar activities with benefits to life on the home planet."

click here for link

click here for link

click here for link

Man is Truth
sleeps on hills
5,530 Posts
32/M/NJ

offline   (11)
June 11 2011 2:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I suspect Space is where the DoD and related foreign equivalents make their Viruses and other things too deadly to risk exposure on earth.
crunkmoose
FuckRandPaul!
24,038 Posts
64/M/MA

offline   (9)
June 11 2011 2:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Man is Truth

I suspect Space is where the DoD and related foreign equivalents make their Viruses and other things too deadly to risk exposure on earth.

And you suspect that based on what?
Man is Truth
sleeps on hills
5,530 Posts
32/M/NJ

offline   (11)
June 11 2011 2:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
if it got out, man would be spared extinction...
crunkmoose
FuckRandPaul!
24,038 Posts
64/M/MA

offline   (9)
June 11 2011 2:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Nnn
Time Husk
875 Posts
60/M/SC

June 11 2011 7:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
This sounds like a really stupid idea concocted by really smart people.
Man is Truth
sleeps on hills
5,530 Posts
32/M/NJ

offline   (11)
June 11 2011 7:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Moon base = Death star = goal of all govts over men since their beginning
crunkmoose
FuckRandPaul!
24,038 Posts
64/M/MA

offline   (9)
June 11 2011 9:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Man is Truth

Moon base = Death star = goal of all govts over men since their beginning

you = total fucking idiot

Yeah, we get the idea that governments like to have power and government is most often there to serve itself as a nation rather than to serve its populace... but really... comparing a moon base to the fucking death star?

see, THIS is why education is important... so when discussing important subjects every other reference you make isn't to a fucking movie.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,882 Posts
41/M/PA

offline     (24)
June 12 2011 11:18 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm normally not Dwarn-minded but I am skeptical that we ever went to the moon at all.
crunkmoose
FuckRandPaul!
24,038 Posts
64/M/MA

offline   (9)
June 12 2011 4:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: pudge

I'm normally not Dwarn-minded but I am skeptical that we ever went to the moon at all.

Hmm.. Why is that, Pudge?

Also.. I wouldn't describe any doubt of the official story of history or the present as necessarily Dwarn-like... as long as it isn't blindly paranoid.
Brett Weir
hey hi
41,036 Posts
29/M/NY

offline  mobile reply   (5)
June 12 2011 7:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Fuck the lot of you, I am gonna watch Aliens on blu ray again.
Matt Rock Bottom
never ends
1 Posts
23/M/NA

June 12 2011 8:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
HA!
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,882 Posts
41/M/PA

offline     (24)
June 13 2011 1:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: crunkmoose

Also.. I wouldn't describe any doubt of the official story of history or the present as necessarily Dwarn-like... as long as it isn't blindly paranoid.

I can't put my finger on it, but something stinks.

We've never been back, despite technology advancing and becoming less expensive. I don't buy that it's too costly, the space race grew our economy when it was in full swing and the stuff we developed for space travel also found use here as well.

Why, if the program was a success, didn't we continue it? Why have we basically discontinued our space program as a whole? Something doesn't add up.
tom.
^__^
61,475 Posts
31/M/PA

offline     (5)
June 13 2011 1:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
"space programs" are very much alive and well with the main focus being defense satellite dominance and the exploration of mars (to include the ISS.) not much to be done on the moon, really.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
16,656 Posts
27/M/IL

offline   (11)
June 13 2011 1:20 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i have a rational theory that our moon is where the breen are from

Rats in the walls
crush, kill, destr
858 Posts
29/M/NY

offline   (1)
June 13 2011 2:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: tom.

"space programs" are very much alive and well with the main focus being defense satellite dominance and the exploration of mars (to include the ISS.) not much to be done on the moon, really.

Yeah, we already know they do all that - everybody does. But way to not read the thread. Mars is a waste of time. We could actually do mining and industrial development on the moon, with a realistic turnaround feasibility. Anything done on Mars would be a one-way trip. But Mars looks better and flashier in press releases to stupid people, so yeah, we'll probably wind up wasting a trillion dollars on that with no practical use or return on our money spent.
forum Politics and Society ›› Moon Base Alpha ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Moon Base Alpha

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band