1. Yeah, you CAN do terrible things in the name of either, but the fact is that one side has a far far far far far higher body count and tendency to do things that are terrible in the name of their beliefs, in part because of the nature of their beliefs.
3. NJ town cuts police force and then tries to pray crime down. I kid you not... this went on. In some ways this one is true, yes... but not universally so, and the differences seem to come most often from religious prohibitions.
5. And yet the atheist point of view is.. with few exceptions... that we should all have the right to our own beliefs and that no religion should be forced on anyone.. much less any lack thereof. The religious views of some are repugnant to me because they seek to do actual harm to others and to compel others to follow their religious laws.
8. The negative aspects of religion are what those who do not believe actually oppose.
9. Yes... but one side brings far more negative things to the table... and that same side is the one that seeks to use government to further its own agendas and force its beliefs on others through law.
10. True... but, then... religion has a far longer and bloody record of trying.
I say all this because quite simply I don't need or have to agree with the religious on anything outside of the idea that everyone is free to have their own beliefs and that others should not be forced by law to follow the religious or moral rules of anyone else.