Featherweight Bout:
-Johnny Eduardo vs. Raphael Assuncao
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 15 2011 11:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
first couple of bouts added to the UFC's return to Brazil.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,742 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
April 15 2011 12:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Excited and sketched out about Royce. Hopefully his opponent is well picked. I don't want him to smash through some nobody, but I don't want a game guy to crush him either. I'm going to a seminar he is doing in a few weeks so hopefully he talks about it.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,146 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (18)
April 15 2011 12:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
sakuraba
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 15 2011 1:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
In all honesty, the only fight that makes sense is the rubbermatch with Ken. It's not necessarily the most jaw-dropping bout but for Royce's final fight in his home country (where he never fought before) a fight with his nemesis would be the best option to go out on.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,742 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
April 15 2011 1:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I think at this point in the game him and Ken would just come off as being ridiculous. That second fight was terrible so I can't see a point in continuing that series. I'm not sure where Ken is at in weight now too. Last time I saw him he was fighting a fat guy that had to be heavyweight, and the guy was doing front flips for no reason.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 15 2011 1:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Well there really is no one at this point that Royce really matches up well with, atleast someone that is a marquee fighter. For his final fight it would be stupid to match him up with a nobody and they couldn't give him a contender because they would smash him. I know when he fought Hughes it was at a catchweight of 175lbs. so he probably could fight at 185lbs too.

So between all the Welterweights and Middleweights, Damian Maia is about the only person I could see matching him up with. Maia's standup is pretty horrible but so is Royce's. It would end up being a grappling clinic but fuck it, the people of Rio would eat that shit up.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,742 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
April 15 2011 1:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah that would be interesting, but I would say unlikely. It's definitely a tough fight to book if you are looking out for both fighters. If they are giving Royce a fight in the first place they must be doing it to look out for him. He certainly doesn't need money or anything like that so it's mainly just about pride. Even Hughes just said something like "I don't care who I fight next, I just want to go out on a win".
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 15 2011 1:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
They're not going to give him someone that is going to crush him flat out. In that case, let him fight Thiago Alves so he can leg kick him in half and then punch his face off.

They're going to give him a name but lower level guy from either Welterweight or Middleweight. The problem is the way they are cutting people and how the division has stepped up, I don't know who I would book him with.

The fight with Ken only made sense because of nostalgia purposes and to go out the way he came in.
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (8)
April 16 2011 2:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
maia would submit royce easily.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,742 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
April 17 2011 3:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Royce basically called out Hughes on Inside MMA. Now whether or not that fight actually happens is entirely up in the air, but that seems to be what he is looking for.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,815 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (10)
April 17 2011 7:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Royce fighting is such a waste on this card.....i don't care to see it at all
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 18 2011 8:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Fisher/Tavares added
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 18 2011 8:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Craley

Royce fighting is such a waste on this card.....i don't care to see it at all

I agree with this for the most part. In a way I back them giving Royce a send-off in his home country in the "house he built" but I don't care to see him fighting anyone of relevance. What is the point of watching him fight say Thiago Alves or Demian Maia? There isn't any, especially if he wins. That potentially puts a contender way down the line if they were to lose to Gracie, who is retiring after this fight. The only fight that makes sense is to go old-school with it and let him fight someone from the original tournaments. I know they tried to get Oleg Taktarov to fight him but after talks Taktarov decided it was best to just stay retired.

Clearly having Gracie fight on this event is a 90% a marketing ploy. It's to secure that the arena sells out and that tons of Brazilians buy the PPV.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 18 2011 1:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Cane/Nedkov added.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
July 19 2011 2:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
full fight card posted. No Gracie.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› UFC 134: Rio (08/27/11) ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: UFC 134: Rio (08/27/11)

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?