forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› How do you train? ›› new reply Post Reply
deadlift

sees air
15,543 Posts
66/M/NA

offline   (18)
April 14 2011 4:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
What does your training look like?
Are you training for strength? or more for bodybuilding? Or are you just trying to get into some semblance of health? What are your goals?
How many days of the week do you train? Is it full body or a split of some kind?
Do you do any form of cardio? if so, what kind?
Fungis
Dean Milenko
994 Posts
33/M/VA

offline   (5)
April 14 2011 4:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i get drunk first. not really helping
(dave)
timebombhc
15,088 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (1)
April 14 2011 5:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
right now i'm on a 5 day split...i'm trying to cut right now and this has been giving me the best results so far (as opposed to doing full body workouts 3-4 days a week or doing the chest & tri, back & bi, and legs thing that everyone i know does):

Mon-Chest & Light Tri Work
Tue-Legs & Calves
Wed-Back & Light Bi Work
Thur-Shoulders
Fri-Arms (Heavy Bi's and Tri's)
I do Abs 3 times a week and Forearms 2 times a week

I'm doing this for the next month or so, then i'm going to try focusing on squats, deadlifts, and bench. I'll try to do that 5 days a week (only deadlifting once a week), but i'm not exactly sure how to go about filling in around those 3 lifts
(dave)
timebombhc
15,088 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (1)
April 14 2011 5:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i try to do light cardio when i can around my class schedule, but i usually just play basketball or something. i should be doing more
deadlift
sees air
15,543 Posts
66/M/NA

offline   (18)
April 14 2011 5:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Every lifter, male or female, should center every gym session around a compound movement.

Squat, deadlift, bench

Unless, of course, you have some sort of injury preventing you from doing so.
deadlift
sees air
15,543 Posts
66/M/NA

offline   (18)
April 14 2011 5:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: (dave)

right now i'm on a 5 day split...i'm trying to cut right now and this has been giving me the best results so far (as opposed to doing full body workouts 3-4 days a week or doing the chest & tri, back & bi, and legs thing that everyone i know does):

Tue-Legs & Calves
Wed-Back & Light Bi Work
Thur-Shoulders

I'm doing this for the next month or so, then i'm going to try focusing on squats, deadlifts, and bench. I'll try to do that 5 days a week (only deadlifting once a week), but i'm not exactly sure how to go about filling in around those 3 lifts

I've never understood the back/bi, chest/tri set up because your biceps are going to get hit pretty well from doing a lot of your back exercises .. the same goes for your triceps when you are working on the chest. I've always done back/tri and chest/bi when I'm training that way but i'll probably never train that way again because I love powerlifting way too much to get into a bodybuilding routine ever again.
(dave)
timebombhc
15,088 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (1)
April 14 2011 5:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i deadlift on back day, squat on leg day, incline bench on shoulder day, obviously bench on chest day
xAJDELAWAREx
Oh this site?
42,292 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (5)
April 14 2011 5:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Whats a good 3-4 day split?
deadlift
sees air
15,543 Posts
66/M/NA

offline   (18)
April 14 2011 5:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: xAJexDELAWAREx

what are your goals?
Mike M.
shred the gnar
455 Posts
34/M/MD

offline   (1)
April 14 2011 5:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i do weights three times a week, then cardio in between days

Back and chest
cardio
shoulders and legs
cardio
bi and tri

I trained kickboxing/jiu jitsu for a while until i broke my foot. My toes is taking for-fucking-ever to heal, but pretty soon I'm joining a boxing gym for a bit.

Before I moved I surfed every day there was waves, which kept me in shape.

I don't train to get big or anything, although the small gains that I make are a bonus. I just feel better mentally when I'm in shape. I also do weights because I'm skinny as fuck and it helps keep weight on that I burn while surfing and kickboxing and stuff.
(dave)
timebombhc
15,088 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (1)
April 14 2011 5:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: deadlift

Tue-Legs & Calves
Wed-Back & Light Bi Work
Thur-Shoulders

I've never understood the back/bi, chest/tri set up because your biceps are going to get hit pretty well from doing a lot of your back exercises .. the same goes for your triceps when you are working on the chest. I've always done back/tri and chest/bi when I'm training that way but i'll probably never train that way again because I love powerlifting way too much to get into a bodybuilding routine ever again.

i do the light tri and bi work just to isolate the muscles and walk away feeling a good burn, doing back/bi's and chest/tri's as a routine never really made sense to me

this summer i want to focus on blowing away my bench, deadlift, and squat numbers...unfortunately i see/ know no one who trains that way
Mike M.
shred the gnar
455 Posts
34/M/MD

offline   (1)
April 14 2011 5:20 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

i deadlift on back day, squat on leg day, incline bench on shoulder day, obviously bench on chest day

and this
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 14 2011 5:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Technically right now I'm a fucking waste. I get into the MMA gym like once or twice a week which is nowhere near as much as I need or normally get in there. My current living situation has taken a severe beating on my training.

Even under normal circumstances I spend more time in the MMA gym working on technique and fight conditioning than I do in a lifting gym. Muay Thai is heavy in volume and intensity. BJJ is a little more laid back as we drill technique to perfect it and then go live at the end of class. The force vs force is a workout in itself. Put grappling together after 60-90 minutes of Muay Thai and you got a better workout than you'll ever get in a regular gym.

When I do lift it's for fight specific reasons. If I'm getting myself ready for a fight, everything is circuits. If I'm not lifting for a fight then I tend to follow what some people call a Muscle Magazine routine. I split the body up and do roughly 4 exercises per body group. While I definitely lift to gain strength and explosiveness, most of my lifting is more for maintenance than anything.

The majority of my cardio comes from my fight training but I do work my cardio other ways. It always varies because if it doesn't involve punching/kicking pads, I hate it. So sometimes I'll just jog on the treadmill for X amount of time, sometimes it's the bike or eliptical, and depending upon the day I'll do HIIT sprints. If I do circuit lifting it's set for a minute longer that whatever the round length I'm competing in and it's intense enough that I normally kill two birds with one stone and have no need to run.

I really need to start swimming again.

Goals right now. Maintain the terrible weight I'm at until I can get myself back into a steady routine. Once that happens, get my ass back down to fight weight whether I compete or not. I look and feel better when I'm training like that.
xAJDELAWAREx
Oh this site?
42,292 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (5)
April 14 2011 5:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by: xAJexDELAWAREx

what are your goals?

Fat loss/muscle gain/massive boners
deadlift
sees air
15,543 Posts
66/M/NA

offline   (18)
April 14 2011 5:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Tue-Legs & Calves
Wed-Back & Light Bi Work
Thur-Shoulders

i do the light tri and bi work just to isolate the muscles and walk away feeling a good burn, doing back/bi's and chest/tri's as a routine never really made sense to me

this summer i want to focus on blowing away my bench, deadlift, and squat numbers...unfortunately i see/ know no one who trains that way

I can understand doing light tri work on your chest day, but if you wanted to get a good workout I would move the tri's to your back day because they are going to be fatigued quite a bit just from doing chest movements before you can even focus on them. Same goes for the back and bi's routine.

I take it you attend school somewhere? I would try to find some guys that are play sports for the school .. especially football/lacrosse/rugby because those guys will be doing a strength routine. Most guys that are into strength training are more than welcome to help a new guy out if they have any questions, at least from my experience.
deadlift
sees air
15,543 Posts
66/M/NA

offline   (18)
April 14 2011 5:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Steve Stevenson

and this

You don't really need a shoulder day. I would just do a second bench day and do incline on that day for your shoulders and a shoulder press of some sort if you choose to do so.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› How do you train? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: How do you train?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?