all threads All Threads ›› Sea Shepherd stops Japan's whaling season ›› new reply Post Reply
Rats in the walls

crush, kill, destr
1,170 Posts
34/M/NY

offline   (1)
February 18 2011 5:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

17 February 2011 Last updated at 22:11 ET

Japan ends Antarctic whaling season early

Japan has stopped its annual Antarctic whale hunt before the end of the season, saying "harassment" by US activists had made it impossible to continue.

The hunt had been halted temporarily last week, after the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society chased the Japanese fleet's mother ship.

Now the fisheries minister says the fleet will return home.

Sea Shepherd said the decision was "great news".

"We will however stay with the Japanese ships until they return north and make sure that they're out of the Southern Ocean whale sanctuary," Paul Watson, founder of the Sea Shepherd group, told the Agence France-Presse news agency.

Commercial whaling was banned in 1986 but Japan uses a regulation permitting hunting for scientific research.

Iceland and Norway have lodged official objections to the ban and continue to hunt commercially.
'Unjustified interference'

Japan had said it had suspended its hunt on 10 February. Normally the season continues until mid-March.

Announcing that whaling was being abandoned for this season, Japan's Farm and Fisheries Minister Michihiko Kano said: "Even now the mothership is being chased, and it is difficult to ensure the safety of the crew members."

Activists' ships have been harrying the fleet for weeks in the icy seas of Antarctica.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society says one of its boats has been blocking the main ship's stern loading ramp, preventing any harpooned whales from being loaded on to the ship.

Japan's fleet involves 180 people on four ships, with the aim to kill up to 945 whales in Antarctic waters during the southern winter season.

Japan says the aim is to study their impact on fish stocks.

Few Japanese can afford to eat whale regularly, but meat from the "scientific research" finds its way into many high end restaurants.

Anti-whaling nations, led by Australia and New Zealand, and environmental groups say the hunts are cruel and unnecessary.

Australia is taking legal action in the International Court of Justice against Tokyo over whaling.

crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
62/M/MA

offline   (9)
February 18 2011 3:41 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 19 2011 7:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
They did something? That is crazy. After watching Whale Wars I was convinced all of those people were clueless, but it's good that they accomplished something now.

Fucka you dorfin, and fucka you whale.
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (1)
February 20 2011 10:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
good stuff
Bashar al-Asad
In sha'Allah
38,210 Posts
46/M/PA

offline   (11)
February 20 2011 10:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
nuke japan again
Billy Crystals
The shy retirer
14,553 Posts
33/M/WI

offline   (2)
February 20 2011 11:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Sharplimbed

good stuff

yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
43/M/NJ

offline   (5)
February 20 2011 2:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
whale is just like beef anyway.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
62/M/MA

offline   (9)
February 21 2011 12:45 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Ron Shark
Time Husk
27,235 Posts
9/M/PA

offline     (5)
February 21 2011 11:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Seriously though
asking_for_it
Dave B. #2
4,663 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (15)
February 21 2011 1:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Wesley Gibson

nuke japan again

L.Fleming
Time Husk
1 Posts
28/M/NA

August 12 2011 10:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Man, is this the end? Really? I had hoped that this day would never come...I enjoyed watching the Sea Shemales chase their tails in the Arctic. I'll really miss some of the women on the “Boob Bracer” and the “Stiff Lichen”. A friend that once met the crew told me that the women on board have thick mats of hair under each arm and long legs with gorilla fur....That is soooo sexy :)

Anyway, I'm gonna have to find another source of whale oil now. Baby seal pup just isn't the same when deep fried in that crappy eco-friendly veggie oil. And don't even get me started on having to use pig fat. That is only to be used while curing my dolphin jerky...MMMM...now that is some good eatin'!

Anyway, maybe there are some good old fashioned tree-hugger-hippies chaining themselves naked to some tree to the protect monkeys somewhere; and then we can have another great (action packed) reality show, full of brave environmental terrorists weeping over the death of snail darters.

Oh well, I’m off to the kitchen to boil up a couple of lobsters and cry in my butter sauce over the end of the whale war. Damned Japanese; they gave up way too early.
~Cheers!
Rats in the walls
crush, kill, destr
1,170 Posts
34/M/NY

offline   (1)
March 9 2012 8:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
and, again:

Japan ends whaling season short of quota 9 March 2012 Last updated at 06:23 ET

Japan has ended its whaling season with less than a third of its annual target, said the country's Fisheries Agency.

The whaling ships headed home from the Antarctic Ocean this week with 266 minke whales and one fin whale, falling short of its quota of about 900.

The agency blamed "sabotage" by anti-whaling activists for the shortfall.

Japan conducts "legal research" on whales each year, but activists say it is a cover for commercial whaling banned under an international treaty.

"The catch was smaller than planned due to factors including weather conditions and sabotage acts by activists," an agency official was quoted by the AFP news agency as saying.

"There were definitely sabotage campaigns behind the figure."

The US-based anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd follows the Japanese fleet south every year in a bid to disrupt its hunt.

"I think it's been a very successful campaign," said the group's president, Paul Watson. "I predicted they wouldn't take over 30% and they got 26% so we were right on that one."

There has been a ban on commercial whaling for 25 years, but Japan catches about 1,000 whales each year in what it says is a scientific research programme.

The Australian government also welcomed Japan's decision to recall its whaling fleet.

"Japan's whaling activities are contrary to international law," the government said. "That is why Australia commenced and will continue legal action in the International Court of Justice."

all threads All Threads ›› Sea Shepherd stops Japan's whaling season ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Sea Shepherd stops Japan's whaling season

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?