forum Politics and Society ›› Sarah Palin: 'Blood Libel' ›› new reply Post Reply
white trash dirt bag

pass the whore
2,166 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (6)
January 12 2011 8:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Palin's words reach back to sordid history

NEW YORK (AP) - When Sarah Palin accused journalists and pundits of "blood libel" in the wake of the deadly Arizona shootings, she reached deep into one of medieval history's most sordid chapters to make her point. The term "blood libel" is not well known, but it is highly charged - a direct reference to a time when many European Christians accused Jews of kidnapping and murdering Christian children to obtain their blood. Jews were tortured and executed for crimes they did not commit, emblematic of anti-Semitism so virulent that some scholars recoiled Wednesday at Palin's use of the term.

Palin: "Blood Libel" .

Sarah Palin succeeded in getting some attention for her latest address, but it probably wasn't the sort of attention she was looking for. Her speech on the Tucson shootings was largely derided as the work of a self-absorbed politician who looks distinctly un-presidential. Nate Silver and Jon Chait had nice things to say, but most commentators were aghast at the speech, particularly Palin's use of the phrase "blood libel." In what was supposed to be a speech about restrained rhetoric, she used a term historically used to describe the accusation that Jews use (Christian) babies' blood in their religious rituals. "Had Palin scoured a thesaurus, she could not have come up with a more inflammatory phrase," Howard Kurtz laments. Not even Jonah Goldberg will defend her use of the term. At the Atlantic, Jeffrey Goldberg thinks some good can come of the speech: "It is a moral necessity, I think, for Christians to understand the blood libel," he says. "Sarah Palin is such an important political and cultural figure that her use of the term "blood libel" should introduce this very important historical phenomenon to a wide audience." Rep. James Clyburn isn't so sure. "Sarah Palin just can't seem to get it, on any front," the South Carolina Democrat said. "Intellectually, she seems not to be able to understand what's going on here." Ta-Nehisi Coates doesn't understand why everyone is so surprised. "This is what populist demagogues do," he sighs. "This is who they are."

...particularly nasty and inappropriate considering that some of Loughner's writings suggest that Giffords may well have been targeted partially because she is Jewish.

and for reference:

Blood libel (also blood accusation) refers to a false accusation or claim that religious minorities, in European contexts almost always Jews, murder children to use their blood in certain aspects of their religious rituals and holidays. Historically, these claims have – alongside those of well poisoning and host desecration – been a major theme in European persecution of Jews.[4]

The libels typically allege that Jews require human blood for the baking of matzos for Passover. The accusations often assert that the blood of Christian children is especially coveted, and historically blood libel claims have often been made to account for otherwise unexplained deaths of children. In some cases, the alleged victim of human sacrifice has become venerated as a martyr, a holy figure around whom a martyr cult might arise. A few of these have been even canonized as saints, like Gavriil Belostoksky.

In Jewish lore, blood libels were the impetus for the creation in the 16th century of the Golem of Prague by Rabbi Judah Loew ben Bezalel. Many popes have either directly or indirectly condemned the blood accusation, and no pope has ever sanctioned it. These libels have persisted among some segments of Christians to the present time.

Erie Ed
Dog pound
20,398 Posts
32/M/OH

offline   (21)
January 12 2011 8:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm glad she continues to make an ass out of herself and the entire tea party
DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (3)
January 12 2011 10:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm not even a Palin supporter but people on this site are hilarious when it comes to issues involving her.
Brett Weir
im gay
44,411 Posts
33/M/NY

offline  mobile reply   (7)
January 12 2011 10:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Why, its just like making fun of any shit poster who constantly says stupid shit
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,510 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
January 12 2011 10:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Bitch is fucking stupid.
Gisty
Swoop The Dang
4,908 Posts
36/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (3)
January 12 2011 10:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: DarkhorseLurker

I'm not even a Palin supporter but people on this site are hilarious when it comes to issues involving her.

joey.
Means to an end
13,569 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (7)
January 13 2011 12:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Gisty

Originally posted by: DarkhorseLurker

Originally posted by: Kermit Butts

Why, its just like making fun of any shit poster who constantly says stupid shit

carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
28/M/ME

offline   (1)
January 13 2011 3:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm pretty sure a Venn diagram of A: Palin supporters and B: People who give a shit if they're offending Jews; would have virtually no overlapping portion in the middle. Antisemitism is probably a plus for some of them.

My only point is this is another thing that people who already hate Palin will blow out of proportion, but people who like her or are ambivalent towards her will not care at all about.
RightBetweenTheEyes
diaperface
1,676 Posts
28/F/MN

offline   (6)
January 13 2011 4:10 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
WHO THE FUCK CARES
joey.
Means to an end
13,569 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (7)
January 13 2011 5:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
That's the attitude.

Lament Configuration
your mistake
642 Posts
38/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 13 2011 5:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
STOP MAKING ME THINK MY BRAIN HURTS
Lament Configuration
your mistake
642 Posts
38/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 13 2011 5:57 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: i am skimble

I'm pretty sure a Venn diagram of A: Palin supporters and B: People who give a shit if they're offending Jews; would have virtually no overlapping portion in the middle. Antisemitism is probably a plus for some of them.

My only point is this is another thing that people who already hate Palin will blow out of proportion, but people who like her or are ambivalent towards her will not care at all about.

Of course a more cynical take would be that terms like this are put into her speeches deliberately as part of a kind of dog whistle politics directed at that part of her base who would approve of them.
LEATHERFACE
Hail Caesar
3,756 Posts
34/M/NC

January 13 2011 7:33 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Does anyone really believe Palin is smart enough to know the historical roots of the term "blood libel"? I don't know which is more pathetic, Palin or the douche who made this thread.........
white trash dirt bag
pass the whore
2,166 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (6)
January 13 2011 7:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
...or maybe the douche who thinks she writes her own speeches and who makes retarded, asinine posts displaying his stupidity here on a regular basis.
the cat
trash digger
7,263 Posts
34/M/DC

offline   (5)
January 13 2011 8:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
the game:

2 scripted words to provoke esoteric criticism

"gosh darn liberals are offended when i 'pologize!"

collective racist g spot tickled, base maintained, political aspirations intact
LEATHERFACE
Hail Caesar
3,756 Posts
34/M/NC

January 13 2011 8:17 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: white trash dirt bag

...or maybe the douche who thinks she writes her own speeches and who makes retarded, asinine posts displaying his stupidity here on a regular basis.

Dwarn?
forum Politics and Society ›› Sarah Palin: 'Blood Libel' ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Sarah Palin: 'Blood Libel'

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?