forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› UFC 129: GSP vs. Shields (04/30/2011) ›› new reply Post Reply
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
May 2 2011 4:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
As a fan you want to see fights finished or atleast attempt to finish. Because lets face it, at the UFC level and with fighters only getting better and better, finishes aren't going to happen all the time. Taking the Tim Sylvia approach is an easy way out.

Part of me gets that keeping it safe Saturday because his eye was fucked was probably the best route to secure that the won the fight but he when Shields went down rocked from the kick, GSP should have went after him. Same with the punch in the first, he didn't even flinch for an attack after he landed it. Shields has great grappling but I'm willing to put money on that GSP is good enough and strong enough on the ground to negate the majority of problems. Especially with the ability to rain down strikes too. He respected the ground game too much.

He needs to face someone that is going to put him in hairy situations. Nick Diaz is the only person in the 170lb division that's going to do it. He'll go right after him and isn't afraid to fight anywhere. Shields had improved standup but he didn't want to be there and GSP knew that. Diaz has good standup and great ground attacks off his back. Stylistically he's the biggest problem for GSP in the Welterweight division right now. The other option is to move up to 185lbs for the real challenge. His athleticism isn't going to be enough with some of those big boys. While I think he can beat Silva, he's going to need the serious challenges that someone like Okami or Sonnen can give him. Guys that are going to be legitimately stronger than him. Where he's going to need to really push himself and work for finishes.

I think he likes being champion but is bored with his division. I think that's the biggest problem.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,205 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
May 2 2011 4:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i hope diaz signs to fight him.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
May 2 2011 4:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
They have to get over the hurdle of the Showtime contract. I don't know how that's going to work out.

Basically anyone that was signed to a Strikeforce deal was pretty much co-signed to a Showtime deal as well. The deal with Showtime doesn't run up for just slightly less than 2 years.

It will be a shame if we have to wait 2 years for that potential fight to happen when both of them are at their obvious primes right now.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,205 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
May 2 2011 5:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yep. maybe the ufc will have events on showtime and that will circumvent the legal tie downs. . .however i dont think they'd be will to pass on that kind of ppv $$$$$$$$$
Jess.
wiener breath
38,775 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (11)
May 2 2011 5:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm just glad my boyfriend won.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
May 2 2011 5:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
did you even watch it?
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
May 2 2011 5:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Captain Ahab

yep. maybe the ufc will have events on showtime and that will circumvent the legal tie downs. . .however i dont think they'd be will to pass on that kind of ppv $$$$$$$$$

Won't happen. Showtime requires too much bullshit for the UFC to even bother. The reason that Gus Johnson is part of the commentary team is because Showtime says so.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,205 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
May 2 2011 5:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah i knew he was an add in by showtime.
Jess.
wiener breath
38,775 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (11)
May 2 2011 5:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

did you even watch it?

lol no I was at Dayglow. I watched highlights.
PH1L
Time Husk
8,056 Posts
35/M/CA

offline   (3)
May 2 2011 7:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
GSP vs Silva is like Pacquaio vs Mayweather....probably wont happen even though they should
-Jeremy-
gary
62,973 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (21)
May 2 2011 8:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: ass nipples

but hes so good, he can do that. no one can stop him now.

But if he's really that good, he should be able to finish a fight.
Chris_High
Chooch
2,359 Posts
31/M/FL

offline   (1)
May 2 2011 10:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't blame him for not finishing Shields. He was half blind by the 2nd round.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› UFC 129: GSP vs. Shields (04/30/2011) ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: UFC 129: GSP vs. Shields (04/30/2011)

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?