all threads All Threads ›› Do you live in PA? Have you ever seen a brown stinkbug? Help me out. ›› new reply Post Reply
guiltparade

7,951 Posts
66/M/PA

offline   (2)
December 7 2010 11:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm doing my senior research project on the spread of the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (
click here for link ) across PA. So far there have been documented cases in 37 of the 67 counties in PA. If you live in any of the following counties, have seen a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, and would be willing to mail me a (dead) specimen, that would rule. Packaging/postage would be covered.

Counties where documentation is needed: Bedford, Bradford, Cameron, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Fayette, Forest, Fulton, Greene, Huntingdon, Jefferson, Juniata, Lawrence, Lycoming, McKean, Montour, Potter, Schuylkill, Somerset, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Tioga, Union, Venango, Warren, Wayne, and Wyoming

Otzi
Time Husk
8,535 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (3)
December 7 2010 11:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Should have posted this in the summer when I was taking Emerald Ash Borer samples.
Higgs boson
va-gine
6,185 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (6)
December 7 2010 11:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
You should have posted this 3 months ago, when I had them all over my windows / car / house / life. fucking bugs.
guiltparade
7,951 Posts
66/M/PA

offline   (2)
December 7 2010 11:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Just started it today pretty much. Almost decided on working with the EAB as an alternative topic actually.
jim-truth-
urban achiever
3,691 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (12)
December 7 2010 11:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
it's going to be a bitch to get that many samples now that the temperature is dropping.
Otzi
Time Husk
8,535 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (3)
December 7 2010 11:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I could have definitely picked up a few stinkbugs for you off the traps. I was working in Union/Snyder county. Stinkbugs are cooler than EAB though so good choice. If you can throw up traps somewhere the traps we used for EAB usually had more stinkbugs than beetles so you might want to try one. But yeah, gonna be tough with the temperature so low now.

Gisty
Swoop The Dang
4,908 Posts
38/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (3)
December 7 2010 11:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: 100% TRUTH

it's going to be a bitch to get that many samples now that the temperature is dropping.

if my county was listed I'd have some to send.
guiltparade
7,951 Posts
66/M/PA

offline   (2)
December 7 2010 11:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: 100% TRUTH

They overwinter in buildings to avoid freezing, so it won't be hard at all.

Originally posted by: Matthew_Green

i vacuumed a dieing one up today actually. I NEVER saw these bugs until 2-3 years ago , now i see them every where all year round . so weird , i actually dont mind these bugs at all except it just gives me an unsanitary feeling .

Yeah, they're more annoying than anything. However their surge in numbers recently is causing a pretty big impact on agriculture, so the concern about their control is starting to grow pretty rapidly.
Otzi
Time Husk
8,535 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (3)
December 7 2010 11:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, I'd be interested to know what they affect. All I know is the lab wanted all our stinkbugs but they never really told us why.
guiltparade
7,951 Posts
66/M/PA

offline   (2)
December 7 2010 11:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
They do this to crops:

emogeddon
TIGHTDICKPLAYA
24,550 Posts
43/M/PA

offline     (1)
December 8 2010 12:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i found one in my house today. if i find another one, i'll hook you up with it.
guiltparade
7,951 Posts
66/M/PA

offline   (2)
December 8 2010 12:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Awesome. The easiest way to kill them is to get them in a zip-lock bag/envelope/etc and put them in the freezer overnight. This should also minimize the chances of them emitting the scent defense chemical. What county are you in by the way?
emogeddon
TIGHTDICKPLAYA
24,550 Posts
43/M/PA

offline     (1)
December 8 2010 12:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i didn't read that part. i'm in montgomery county.
Dan.
____
8,803 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (4)
December 8 2010 12:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Add Chester County to that list.
jim-truth-
urban achiever
3,691 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (12)
December 8 2010 12:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i'd keep an eye open but i'm assuming you have luzerne county covered seeing as how it wasn't listed.
guiltparade
7,951 Posts
66/M/PA

offline   (2)
December 8 2010 2:21 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, counties that are NOT listed already have documented cases. Probably should have made that a little clearer.
all threads All Threads ›› Do you live in PA? Have you ever seen a brown stin... ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Do you live in PA? Have you ever seen a brown stinkbug? Help me out.

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?