forum Arts ›› Predators (review) ›› new reply Post Reply
WREN

Wolfman
48,512 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
July 9 2010 12:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
A group of the most elite Military personnel and the most dangerous criminals awake to find themselves on a foreign planet, hunted by a group of Alien killing machines simply known as Predators.

It’s been 23 years since we followed Dutch and his men into the jungle to watch them be slaughtered one by one by this menacing creature that wants nothing more than to collect the skulls of its victims for trophies. Now instead of the creature invading our planet, they have changed their tactics and brought us to one their planets. More specifically a planet designed to be used as a hunting preserve. There are specific reasons why each of these individuals were chosen as the game other than just to be a challenge. Each soldier or criminal has specific tactics they perform and the Predators have learned from them and in turn use those tactics against them to see how the humans react. It’s their way of performing Combat Evolution.

Being a fan of the original, I went into this with a lot of skepticism. The last time the Predator series tried to get a reboot was with the Alien vs. Predator disasters. Neither of them were good. One was non-violent and the other was super violent but you couldn’t see any of it. Then it came to be that Robert Rodriguez was going to be responsible for writing and producing the true reboot to the franchise. No Aliens, just the Predator. It was clear that any hope of this franchise being rebooted correctly was going to solely come down to whether or not Rodriguez, with the help of director Nimrod Antal, could pull it off. Good news. They fucking nailed it.

Almost everything was right about this film. I say almost because it wasn’t a perfect movie but I’ll get to my complaints later. Rodriguez was hired and started writing a script for Predator 3 back in 1994 while he was filming Desperado. So other than some tweaking to make it more modern, the script essentially retained a lot of what a 1995 Predator film would have been like. The score, the setting, even some little nods like certain dialog and weapons used were directly plucked from the first two Predator films. If someone told me this was made 15 years ago and shelved for some unknown reason, aside from obvious reasons, I’d believe you. This is the Predator film that we diehards of the originals were waiting for.

The violence has always been a big aspect of the Predator films. The first one was violent in a war type of way. They went way big and probably over did it a little in the 2nd one. So when the first AVP film came out and every single kill was carefully edited to not show an ounce of the gore, people freaked out. AVP: R did a good job of bring the balls back to the series but felt flat because it was a bad movie. Now in Predators, you get both; the violence and the top notch storyline.

The other element of the film that I was a little worried about was the casting assignments. When I heard that Danny Trejo and Lawrence Fishburne were attached I was stoked. Then I heard that Adrien Brody was going to be the lead and that Topher Grace was being casted as a Doctor. I wasn’t sure if Brody was going to be able to fill Arnold’s shoes and I will always question anytime that Grace is casted in any role that’s not a comedy or romantic comedy. Lucky for us they both pass with flying colors. Brody, who is a solid actor, put on 25lbs of muscle to look the part. With both of that going for him, he really sold the part of being a Mercenary. Grace did what he does best and was awkward for most of the movie. What’s good is that’s exactly how his character needed to be played.

Like I previously stated the film was not perfect. There were some minor flaws that I was able to pick out as the film progressed. They are definitely nothing significant but they definitely made me roll my eyes a few times. For starters there were too many comic relief moments and characters. Having one character that is written to fulfill that job
-T
WastedPotential
6,659 Posts
33/M/VA

offline   (19)
July 9 2010 12:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
will def see now
Liam ODonnell M.Div.
embarrassed for y
20,660 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (17)
July 9 2010 12:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I thought the samurai sword vs predator fight ruined some of the film for me, you have only got 3 predators to work with. to have one killed so unbelievably was just a waste of a predator.
-Jeremy-
gary
62,973 Posts
27/M/NA

offline   (21)
July 9 2010 12:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Nimrod Antal directed it, Rodriguez only served as a producer. Although they're sure selling it like it's his movie.
John Barlow
Vodka Party
17,778 Posts
63/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (15)
July 9 2010 12:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
The only thing that really bothered me was Adrian Brody's Batman/Clint Eastwood forced raspy voice. That was a little much. Other than that, this was executed pretty well.
WREN
Wolfman
48,512 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
July 9 2010 12:41 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: -Jeremy-

Nimrod Antal directed it, Rodriguez only served as a producer. Although they're sure selling it like it's his movie.

Oh yeah...Rodriguez wrote and produced.
WREN
Wolfman
48,512 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
July 9 2010 12:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Liam ODonnell M.Div.

I thought the samurai sword vs predator fight ruined some of the film for me, you have only got 3 predators to work with. to have one killed so unbelievably was just a waste of a predator.

I didn't think it was a waste. I looked at it as a way the Predator was never killed before and that the silent character was able to pull it off. I liked it.
Ron Shark
Time Husk
27,200 Posts
M/PA

offline     (5)
July 12 2010 2:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I loved it. It was a new story with a lot of homage to one of the best action movies ever.

Some spoilers:

The samurai scene was awesome IMO. It was obviously referencing Billy's death from the first, but this time we got to see the battle.

Adrian Brody did a damn good job I thought. Bringing some serious acting to the series.

My only gripes:
I didn't care for the dogs. I kinda remember seeing art of them before the movie was filmed and they looked better. I did like the idea of them though.

Fishburn's character could have been developed way more. He survived on the planet for 10 seasons and they only gave him like 10 minutes in the movie. We should have known more about how he survived. Also, if he survived that long he sure did die quickly.

It dragged slightly in moments, but overall it wasn't hindered by it.

They couldn't tell they were in some weird land until they walked to that one clearing? That sky would have been blatantly obvious to anyone upon landing.
WREN
Wolfman
48,512 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
July 12 2010 2:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I read that originally Fishboure's character was suppose to be Danny Glover's character. When Rodriguez wrote the film back in '94 he wanted to connect all the films. Mostly the talk about Dutch's crew and bring Glover's character back. Make the triology make sense. Back in the 90's it was rumored that Glover was all for it since it was going to be a small role. He turned it down when approached for reprising the role now. The whole "10 seasons" would have made sense with his aging.

I guess now he was "too old for this shit".
Ron Shark
Time Husk
27,200 Posts
M/PA

offline     (5)
July 12 2010 3:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, that would have made sense and this certainly felt like it should have come after Predators 2.

I'm glad that they completely dismiss (and all but shit talk) AVP and AVP: 2.
honkey kong
TIGHTDICKPLAYA
24,251 Posts
38/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (1)
July 12 2010 3:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
The original screenplay for this was supposed to have Dutch land a Predator ship and pull them off the planet.

I thought it was awesome for what it was and I'll get it on DVD.
CollinT
HatesMostThings
18,152 Posts
M/NA

July 12 2010 7:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i downloaded it off the internet.

was decent. i enjoyed it
-T
WastedPotential
6,659 Posts
33/M/VA

offline   (19)
July 12 2010 8:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I liked this a lot.
I loved all the nods to the original through out.
Plus, the convict had a Jawbreaker tattoo.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,936 Posts
25/M/WV

offline   (1)
July 13 2010 1:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
the girl in this movie is the worst typecast ever.

military girl with attitude should just be her legal name.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,936 Posts
25/M/WV

offline   (1)
July 13 2010 1:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
but yeah, i wanna see it.
Ron Shark
Time Husk
27,200 Posts
M/PA

offline     (5)
July 13 2010 8:32 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: -T

I liked this a lot.
I loved all the nods to the original through out.
Plus, the convict had a Jawbreaker tattoo.

Who raped bitches at 5 o'clock like it was his job.
forum Arts ›› Predators (review) ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Predators (review)

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band