offline   (1)
November 16 2017 2:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Solomon Grundy
want pants too
535 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 18 2017 11:17 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Halfway thru this and it's already better than Jessica Jones, Iron Fisting, Luke Cage or the Defenders. Also, the actress playing Lieberman's wife looks like Kimmy Granger.
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
535 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 20 2017 7:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
^This was good, and easily the best of the Daredevil spinoffs, but like the others, the pacing seemed a bit off, like they had written a ten episode story arc but then spread it out over 13 episodes. It also had a curious lack of A-list tie-ins with the other series, which might have given it some added depth story-wise. While most of the story is self-contained to the character arc, it's hard to believe that none of the other Marvel heroes in this universe would have responded to the bombings at least, and just showing someone skulking around on a rooftop in the distance or something might have had a broadening effect. In minor details, the soundtrack was a bit clunky and did nothing for the drama, suspense, action, etc. Ironically, the promos over the past year had all been teased with heavy metal which would have been much better as incidental music throughout the episodes instead of the acoustic power-blues they went with.

Still, great cast, good story, and can only improve for the next season if they do one.

Solomon Grundy
want pants too
535 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 20 2017 8:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

This was ok. As a feature-length video for the Immigrant Song, it was great, but otherwise not much more than a few cable-tv series episodes worth of plot & story development. Cate Blanchett was great and looks very, very good for her age doing catwalk moves in skin-tight leggings.

Poster-Hulk^ looks like he's taking a Hulk-sized shit.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,158 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (19)
November 20 2017 8:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Solomon Grundy

^This was good, and easily the best of the Daredevil spinoffs, but like the others, the pacing seemed a bit off, like they had written a ten episode story arc but then spread it out over 13 episodes. It also had a curious lack of A-list tie-ins with the other series, which might have given it some added depth story-wise. While most of the story is self-contained to the character arc, it's hard to believe that none of the other Marvel heroes in this universe would have responded to the bombings at least, and just showing someone skulking around on a rooftop in the distance or something might have had a broadening effect. In minor details, the soundtrack was a bit clunky and did nothing for the drama, suspense, action, etc. Ironically, the promos over the past year had all been teased with heavy metal which would have been much better as incidental music throughout the episodes instead of the acoustic power-blues they went with.

Still, great cast, good story, and can only improve for the next season if they do one.

I'm 9 episodes in and while the story is slow, I like it a lot. It's a very gritty look at PTSD. I think I still like Jessica Jones and maybe season 2 of Daredevil more, but this easily crushes the rest of them by a lot. I, obviously haven't finished it yet but I like the lack of tie-ins. Everyone else had their own season to flourish on their own, The Punisher definitely deserves his own stand alone. Bring him back into the fold on the next season of The Defenders.
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
535 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 20 2017 8:58 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
535 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 20 2017 9:07 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

Originally posted by: Solomon Grundy

I'm 9 episodes in and while the story is slow, I like it a lot. It's a very gritty look at PTSD. I think I still like Jessica Jones and maybe season 2 of Daredevil more, but this easily crushes the rest of them by a lot. I, obviously haven't finished it yet but I like the lack of tie-ins. Everyone else had their own season to flourish on their own, The Punisher definitely deserves his own stand alone. Bring him back into the fold on the next season of The Defenders.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it, it just could have packed a little more story, plot & detail in there i.m.o., and while I would always rather just have had more from the years and years of Punisher comics in there, tie-ins with the other series might have done the trick. I guess I just always felt a little cheated when a comic with great cover art didn't feel like it had enough of a story either. And I thought Jessica Jones was awful & the actress playing her even worse, so we may be looking for different things out of these. I also hope they never use him in the Defenders. That shit was embarrassing.

Bernthal was great, though, I think we can agree on that. Thomas Jane and Ray Stevenson are great actors but were wasted on weak writing. Hopefully they won't make that mistake here going forward.

Solomon Grundy
want pants too
535 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 20 2017 11:54 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,263 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 21 2017 10:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Cumby
Time Husk
8,612 Posts
29/M/PA

online  mobile reply   (4)
November 21 2017 10:06 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
forum Arts & Entertainment ›› the movie thread ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: the movie thread

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?