forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Speed bag? ›› new reply Post Reply
pahulkster

what cha gonna do
12,743 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
December 15 2009 2:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Anybody use one of these? My gym has one, but the platform kind of sucks so it's not super fast. Not that I am really good or anything anyway though. Seems to improve hand eye coordination and shoulder endurance, but I don't know what else aside from looking cool. It took me a while to even get to where I could actually workout with it, but I'm moving along ok. Hopefully in a few more months I can get some of the crazy shit down.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
December 15 2009 2:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I hardly ever use it. Some guys in my gym swear by it and at the end of class they immediately walk over to it.

I give more credit for the double ended reflex bag. It makes you work more since it's alot more unstable and since after you hit it, it comes flying back at you in crazy directions you are forced to react.

I think alot of my speed just comes from the constant repetition (muscle memory). I'm definitely not the fastest in the gym but i am definitely far from the slowest.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,743 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
December 15 2009 3:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
A double end bag would be nice too. They have one lying around, but nowhere to anchor it. I'm not entirely sure how to properly use one.
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (8)
December 15 2009 4:45 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
back when i was training strictly boxing i use to use the speed bag a lot. i suck at it now.

honestly, i think shadowboxing and the heavy bag are more important.
talking shit
talking shit
8,982 Posts
19/M/NA

offline   (4)
December 15 2009 5:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I just hung out with my grandpop @ this boxing gym .Watched him pound a speed bag while we were talking .Didn't know he had it in him still.He Jumps rope quicker than any lil black girl i have ever seen also...I cant even mess with any of those.I dont have the hand eye coordination
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (4)
December 15 2009 5:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
story i heard from my boxing coach years ago was they were only for shoulder endurance. i wasn't much of a boxer and he was a phoenixville P.A.L. coach so take that for what its worth
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
December 15 2009 8:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: pahulkster

A double end bag would be nice too. They have one lying around, but nowhere to anchor it. I'm not entirely sure how to properly use one.

it's easier to show than tell you via the internet but you use it to get your punches down faster and you can hit it, slip the bag like punches and then go back to aiming your punches. I throw great punches from weird angles because of that device.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,743 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
December 15 2009 9:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
That's cool. I've seen it used in some boxing training footage, and that seemed like the general idea. I'll talk to my friend who runs the gym, and see if they could put an anchor in somewhere. I'd really like a free-hanging heavy bag too. Right now they only have them on stands, and it's a little sketchy throwing kicks from certain angles. I wish I didn't sell my Wavemaster, or I'd just bring that down.

I definitely prefer the heavy bag for overall work and use that at least twice as much, but the speed bag is fun. I always thought it looked really cool too, so I'd like to get really good at it. I did it tonight for a while, but I did a decent shoulder workout beforehand. That definitely isn't a recipe for a good speed bag session haha.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
December 17 2009 8:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I would never kick a double end bag. That's strictly for hands.

I only ever kick pads or heavy bags. Knees to teardrops.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,743 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
December 17 2009 9:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah I wasn't talking about kicking a double end bag. Maybe if it really deserved it.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (4)
December 17 2009 2:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Double-end bags will improve your striking accuracy and reflexes dramatically.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (4)
December 17 2009 2:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
And I've never bothered with a speed bag. All they do is build shoulder endurance, and I can do that more productively sparring.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Speed bag? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Speed bag?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?