forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Stikeforce: Evolution (12/19/09) ›› new reply Post Reply
WREN

Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
November 24 2009 9:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Live from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, CA
Showtime Start Time: 10pm est

MAIN CARD

Main Event: Middleweight Bout
-Cung Le vs. Scott Smith

Co-Main Event: Lightweight Championship Bout
- Josh Thomson(c) vs. Gilbert Melendez(i)

Middleweight Bout:
-Matt Lindland vs. Ronald Souza

Light Heavyweight Bout:
-Muhammed Lawal vs. Mike Whitehead

PRELIMINARY CARD

Light Heavyweight Bout:
-Antwain Britt vs. Scott Lighty

Lightweight Bout:
-Daisuke Nakamura vs. Justin Wilcox

Featherweight Bout:
-Juan Nunez vs. Luis Mendoza

Lightweight Bout:
-Bobby Stack vs. Alex Trevino

Lightweight Bout:
-Alex Crispim vs. A.J. Fonseca
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,205 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
November 24 2009 4:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
poor scott smith
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
32/M/CA

offline   (4)
November 24 2009 4:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I think that fight will in fact be a lot closer than one might predict. I can see Smith waiting on the kick and countering by stepping in with a huge right hand. No doubt he has one punch power. Not saying that is what's going to happen, but that's what I would do.
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (8)
November 25 2009 4:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
scott smith got beat up by nick diaz standing. cung le is gonna rape him. scott should try to take him down and use GNP.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
32/M/CA

offline   (4)
November 25 2009 11:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: lord sauron

scott smith got beat up by nick diaz standing.

So did Robbie Lawler, and he was supposed to be the better striker on paper as well. Scott has power in both hands, if one lands clean it can be lights out for almost anyone. He's going to look for that one big punch, like he does in every fight. It's the only thing he really knows how to do.
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (8)
November 26 2009 7:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
of course he can, but i dont see it ending well for him if its a straight stand up fight. at least with diaz, the threat of his ground game is present, so it makes his striking more effective. if cung and scott bang it out, i'd say 9/10 times, cung beats him. he is just much more decorated as a striker.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,205 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
November 26 2009 10:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
not to mention le can keep him out of arms reach all day with kicks.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
32/M/CA

offline   (4)
November 26 2009 10:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: FireBeerMidgets

not to mention le can keep him out of arms reach all day with kicks.

Which was my original point. A good way to counter someone that relies on their kicks so much is to wait on one, eat it, and step in with hands. Take the kick, throw the punch. Yeah, the kick is gonna hurt, but you can put them down with a big punch, especially while they're off balance standing on one leg. Take a look at the Silva/Irvin fight for an example. I've used this strategy a lot.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
32/M/CA

offline   (4)
November 26 2009 10:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: lord sauron

of course he can, but i dont see it ending well for him if its a straight stand up fight. at least with diaz, the threat of his ground game is present, so it makes his striking more effective. if cung and scott bang it out, i'd say 9/10 times, cung beats him. he is just much more decorated as a striker.

More decorated of a striker, no doubt. But he also doesn't have the power that Scott does. Remember, this is MMA, with 4 oz gloves, anything can happen. All it takes is one.

With all I've said being said, do I expect Scott Smith to win this fight? Doubtful. But I'm not taking him out of it automatically like everyone else is. I proposed a strategy that works well fighting someone like Cung, now it will be really interesting to see what happens if Scott follows that strategy. If he does, it's going to be a lot closer of a fight than you all seem to think. If he doesn't, and stays on the outside trying to bang with Cung, it could be a long night. He has to get inside and land big punches, however he manages to do that.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
November 27 2009 8:08 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Smith has KO power, there is no doubting that but he's going up against an undefeated kickboxer (22-0), undefeated SanShou kickboxer (17-0), and a guy that has yet to be out pointed in his MMA career. I'm not saying that Cung Le is the best P4P fighter in the world but he's yet to lose at any point of his standup game.

Smith's standup is Muay Thai and it's mediocre at that. He tends to resort to just being a brawler instead of focusing on technique. I think Le is going to pick him apart the entire fight, mostly with kicks just to stay out of Smith's range. Plus Le's combinations are worlds better and faster than anything Smith has. Smith's going to spend the whole fight looking for that one blow and he's going to consistently connect with nothing but air. He's a gamer and but i don't see it going well for him at all. I say Cung Le by TKO in round 2.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,205 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
December 2 2009 6:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lawler/prangley

click here for link

lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (8)
December 2 2009 10:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
dammit. if prangley didnt fight him, they were gonna bring in manhoef. MANHOEF.

lawler vs. melvin would've been the best 30 second fight of the year.
PH1L
Time Husk
8,056 Posts
35/M/CA

offline   (3)
December 2 2009 11:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Nice may go to this
firebikesmullets
©
1,386 Posts
34/M/TX

offline   (3)
December 19 2009 12:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i'm pumped to see jacare twist lindland up again just like he did in ADCC.

lol at mike whitehead. that guy got fucking FAT. he had to have gained 10 lbs a month of fat since his fight with randleman. easy win for king mo.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,785 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
December 19 2009 8:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'll post a stream in here if I find a good one. Last time there was a Showtime card my stream was really good.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
December 19 2009 9:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
full card.

fights in an hour
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Stikeforce: Evolution (12/19/09) ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Stikeforce: Evolution (12/19/09)

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?