forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› deadlift grip question ›› new reply Post Reply
WREN

Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 14 2009 10:05 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I used to lift with both palms facing in but since i've started to lift heavier i've found that using one palm facing in and one facing out is working best for me.

My question is should i be alternating my grips? Currently i lift with my left palm facing out and right facing in. Should i switch that up from time to time? I don't want to, lets say, be unbalanced if you get what i mean.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
September 14 2009 11:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I always do both facing in. That's proper. If you have a real weak grip I don't think using one in and one out is a big deal. You're afterall targeting your back, not arms... just make sure you use proper form. If you feel yourself overcompensating somehow switch back to the reverse grip and try lifting wraps. I'd definitely work on that grip problem tho.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 14 2009 11:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I can still lift the weights with both facing in, i just feel more comfortable with the one in/one out grip.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,741 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
September 14 2009 3:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Unless you're bad at deadlifts or have incredible grip strength you usually need to use an alternate grip when going heavy. You can do a hook grip, but even that is less stable unless you have a super strong grip. I can usually double overhand what I deadlift, but alternate grip feels much better overall. It's unlikely that you'll get a serious imbalance from using the same alternate grip, but it doesn't hurt to reverse your hands now and then. If you are doing something like shrugs with an alternate grip then you'll need to vary a lot more. Alternate grip is better than straps in every way.

One thing is to make sure your arm facing out (supinated like a curl) is straight all the time. If the arm is bent you will be putting a lot of strain on the bicep, and it could lead to a tear. It's usually not a big deal because with deadlifts the weight will pull your arm down anyway, but it's just something to be aware of. I've always done alternate grip deads, and never had any problem with it though.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
September 14 2009 8:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Let's do this....

Alternate the in/out grip. One set left hand in, one set right hand in. That should balance it out since you don't trust your form. In the long run I would really work on that grip. I use these....

http://sporting-goods.sportsunlimitedinc.com/search?w=heavy+grips

I'm up to the 250lb gripper. If you are on a she string budget a tennis ball or ball of wax may be an affordable alternative.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,741 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
September 14 2009 9:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Grippers don't always translate well into bar holding strength. Generally a strong grip is a strong grip, but if you want to train to hold onto a bar the best thing to do is holding a heavy bar for time or using a thickbar. Grippers are a good time though. I've only use the Ironmind ones myself, but they're all pretty much the same thing. The Ivanko Super Gripper is also a good grip tool, and only costs as much as one regular gripper, but has a huge variety of resistance levels.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
September 14 2009 10:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I think we've at least come to a consensus that Wren needs to work on his grip, regardless of how he achieves it. I really don't identify with his dilemma tho, because I've always had a very strong grip. I've probably caved in more faces with one hand than he's had pizza.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,741 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
September 15 2009 12:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Haha not really, but I'm all for grip training no matter what. If he can lift the weight fine with a double overhand grip but prefers an alternate grip I don't see a problem. I'm the same way with deadlifts.

An HG250 is a little below an Ironmind number 3. You should order one of those, and try to work up to closing it. A Captain of Crush certification is a badass thing to have.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 15 2009 7:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'd say my grip is fine. It's the overall feel of the lift. I just feel better with the over/under grip.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
September 15 2009 9:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Suggesting something is "adequate" shouldn't be in a body builders vocabulary. It's the precursor to flat out giving up. You need to work on your grip. Concentrate on strengthening your thumbs. More often than not that's the problem area in relation to grip. Buy a pinch block, keep it by your bed. You can do that exercise while sitting or lying down.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 15 2009 9:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'll throw bricks up in the air and catch them one handed.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
September 15 2009 9:17 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm starting to get the feeling that your workouts lack structure and that your overall goals may be unsound and quite helter skelter.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 15 2009 9:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
nope they are definitely structured. I was being a smartass.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
September 15 2009 9:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Bottom line you need to look at your grip and see where you can improve. This is coming form the mouth of the guy that beat Dave Draper at mercy 3 out of 5 times.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 15 2009 9:50 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
HAHA.
Rhino v.s Rottweiler
The Returner.
1,874 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (17)
September 15 2009 6:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Use over/under grip supinated/ pronated for maximum grip.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› deadlift grip question ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: deadlift grip question

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?