all threads All Threads ›› ATTN: ACE OF SPADES, ROCK KNOCKOUT ›› new reply Post Reply
miss laura

HAI MAJIDE
16,197 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (3)
June 30 2009 11:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i need to find 40's era clothing for a photo shoot and i don't even know where to begin.

finding clothes for me will be easy, finding clothes for Steve will be harder.

definitely trying to do this on the cheap. do you girls have any suggestions? i know you girls wear lots of vintage clothing.

if anyone else has any suggestions, i'd be glad for them!
Dianana
8====D
66,484 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (8)
June 30 2009 11:39 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Wren and I are being "swing dancers" for our costume party/reception and I've found lots of websites with super cute clothes.
But I'm just going to go into Philly to look because I'm not a fan of buying shit online.

Daddyo.com?
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
June 30 2009 12:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
shopplasticland.com is great for dresses and shoes for girls, they don't have anything for guys though...at least I don't think that they do.

also, thrift shops.
Ace of Spades
here be dragons
9,890 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (10)
June 30 2009 12:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
thrift shops are great sources if you have good ones by you. most of the ones by me have dried up (i had a hard enough time just finding a plain white dress for a mummy costume if you can believe it). thrift shops will be the best resource for steve as far as finding a nice cheap suit (if that's the look you're goin for).

if you're trying to stay on a budget, i recommend finding something you like online and then searching elsewhere for a similar style that's cheaper or even modifying something you already have. i could give you a jillion websites, but you're not going to find much cheap. shops like daddy-o's carry gorgeous dresses, but you'd be lookin at throwin down anywhere from $80-$150 for a dress.

ebay is also a GREAT source for finding vintage and re-pro's.

keep in mind that your accessories will help bring the look together (waist belt, jewelry, hair-wear, parasol, neck scarves, hairstyle, etc).

pm me if you find yourself having a little trouble and i'll gladly help ya out.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 30 2009 12:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i just want a zoot suit. they cost so much though.
Ace of Spades
here be dragons
9,890 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (10)
June 30 2009 12:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:dfv

Wren and I are being "swing dancers" for our costume party/reception and I've found lots of websites with super cute clothes.
But I'm just going to go into Philly to look because I'm not a fan of buying shit online.

Daddyo.com?

i hope you guys are going to take (or already have taken) some classes to put it together! shaun and i are on our third class and it's so much fun!
Ace of Spades
here be dragons
9,890 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (10)
June 30 2009 12:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:WREN

i just want a zoot suit. they cost so much though.

try a costume shop (not the halloween ones)- you might be able to find a rental. there used to be a place out near kutztown that had all sorts of shit like that.. the name escapes me now.

my husband has a cheap-o cheesy one from years ago when we dressed as gangsters for halloween. but yeah, you'll spend a good buck on a nice one.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 30 2009 1:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
we're not planning on actually dancing swing...just looking the part.
Ace of Spades
here be dragons
9,890 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (10)
June 30 2009 1:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:WREN

we're not planning on actually dancing swing...just looking the part.

ahhh ok. shame though. it's a lot of fun and would put the icing on the cake!
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 30 2009 2:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i wanted to be Beetlejuice and Lydia...Like purple crushed velvet suit and red super 80's wedding dress.

sadly she said no.

So 40's era it is.
Ace of Spades
here be dragons
9,890 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (10)
June 30 2009 2:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
haha that would have been pretty awesome. costume party reception will be a blast regardless of what you go as.
miss laura
HAI MAJIDE
16,197 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (3)
June 30 2009 7:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
bumping through 4 pages of utter bullshit to get back to the top.

if anyone has any suggestions as to anyplace that might let me BORROW clothes, that'd be really great.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
July 1 2009 7:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
borrow? that only happens with friends.

the word you meant to use was "rent" right?

no place, i don't care what type of clothing, is just going to let you walk out their door with their items without some sort of transaction. People's good word isn't worth shit, especially in this economy.
Ace of Spades
here be dragons
9,890 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (10)
July 1 2009 10:07 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i dont know who you're doing your shoot with, but some places already have clothing and props available... Bombshell Pinups for example is one. but if you are already set up with someone, that's not much help, huh?

here's the link anyways- i think her studio is in philly:

click here for link
smorgasgeorge
-
20,880 Posts
34/M/CA

offline     (9)
July 18 2015 12:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
smorgasgeorge
-
20,880 Posts
34/M/CA

offline     (9)
July 25 2015 10:08 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Logged in; success
all threads All Threads ›› ATTN: ACE OF SPADES, ROCK KNOCKOUT ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: ATTN: ACE OF SPADES, ROCK KNOCKOUT

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?