forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Morning Workout People ›› new reply Post Reply
shutyourmouth

I buried my heart
1,886 Posts
37/F/MA

offline   (12)
May 27 2009 3:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm usually a night person but I went in the morning for the first time ever. I want to try to do this once or twice a week but I have some issues.

Do you usually eat before you go? If so, what?
Do you get bad acid coming up your throat and feel a constant need to burp bc of it?

Bonsai
lol
5,293 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (10)
May 27 2009 6:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
For morning cardio, I just drink some water and get to it, then eat afterwards.

I usually lift in the evening or late at night, but on the rare occasion that I do lift early, I eat about an hour prior. I've lifted without eating first quite a few times, but those workouts are always shit. It may be partly mental, but I can't even get close to my normal working sets if the nutrition is off.

I have the luxury of not really having anywhere to be most mornings though, so I can take my time and dick around beforehand.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,815 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (10)
May 27 2009 6:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i drink some water before going in maybe.....but i definitely dont eat anything...i wait til about an hour after i'm done

i have no reason for any of it though....its just what i do
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
May 27 2009 8:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It's always a good idea to eat before your workout, especially if you are lifting weights. If I lift in the mornings I'll eat about an hour before I go. Any less than that I'll just have a shake, but it's still pretty high in calories.

What you eat will mainly depend on how much time you have. Protein is a staple, and then go for either carbs or fats so you will have some energy. Carbs will digest faster, and higher GI carbs will be even faster still. Only thing is you don't want to crash from pounding sugar so eat something with balance.
shutyourmouth
I buried my heart
1,886 Posts
37/F/MA

offline   (12)
May 27 2009 8:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: pahulkster

It's always a good idea to eat before your workout, especially if you are lifting weights. If I lift in the mornings I'll eat about an hour before I go. Any less than that I'll just have a shake, but it's still pretty high in calories.

What you eat will mainly depend on how much time you have. Protein is a staple, and then go for either carbs or fats so you will have some energy. Carbs will digest faster, and higher GI carbs will be even faster still. Only thing is you don't want to crash from pounding sugar so eat something with balance.

yeah i did upper body this morning and cardio. i knew there was no way id be able to do legs with no food in me. i was ok doing cardio but lifting i kept getting that terrible stomach acid coming up. eating an hour beforehand isnt an option unless i get up at 530 which wont ever happen. what would you suggest if im eating and then 20-30 minutes later starting my work out?
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
May 27 2009 10:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
A shake would be your best bet. Something with some protein in it, and a decent amount of carbs. Even a Gatorade would be ok if you are in a real pinch. Gatorade has single packet powders that I like a lot. They're way cheaper than buying a bottle every day, and they have better nutritional content.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
May 28 2009 9:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i tried the morning thing and didn't like it at all. i started an afternoon thing during my lunch breaks to supplement my normal 5 day routine and i like it a lot. it wakes me up and the rest of the day always goes faster. it is good to get some sort of workout done earlier in the day, as it will raise your metabolism for the rest of the day
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
May 28 2009 9:18 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i normally have a protein shake and an apple or banana about an hour before i go. There are sometimes where i wake up early and just work out on an empty stomach. It's not often but i do, do it. I've never noticed any problems when i don't eat though. Honestly sometimes i feel that i perform better on an empty stomach. There are alot of days i work out to the point of wanting to puke. If i have something in my stomach other than water, then it would most certainly come up. Empty stomach i might bring up the water.

but it probably is better for you to put something in your stomach atleast an hour out or a little longer. don't suck down a protein shake 3 minutes before hopping on the treadmill.
XWHISKEYX
Old Head
39,027 Posts
62/M/NA

offline   (23)
May 28 2009 9:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I dont work out in the morning but as far as eating goes if I eat prior to working out I go light. Otherwise I will either workout no less than 2 hours after i eat or I will eat after working out. Coincidentally I ate like 45 mins before working out last night and ended up post-workout-puking so hard that I was waiting for my feet to come out of my mouth. ouch.
Broken Skull
Im back.
2,099 Posts
43/M/VA

offline   (1)
May 28 2009 10:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

I never eat breakfast so if I go real early I go on an empty stomach. If I end up going to the gym a little later I will eat a banana. That usually is all I need.
tom.
^__^
62,530 Posts
36/M/PA

offline     (5)
May 28 2009 10:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i did a 20 mile troop walk on no breakfast a few months ago.
thought for sure i was going to die until i got hooked up with some granola.
brenoritvrezorkre
tortiteniphates
26,685 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (3)
May 29 2009 1:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Wake up, eat something like oatmeal and fruit, wait about an hour and a half, then workout.
shutyourmouth
I buried my heart
1,886 Posts
37/F/MA

offline   (12)
May 29 2009 12:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Eric J.

Wake up, eat something like oatmeal and fruit, wait about an hour and a half, then workout.

lol @ that. this is precious sleeping time, im not waking up at 530 to eat and then sit around in the morning when i could be sleeping.
i drank half a protein shake this morning, waited about 25 minutes, had a 20 minute drive and felt better than the other morning. i only did 45 minutes of cardio this time though bc i didnt have that extra 45 minutes to lift bc i woke up 15 minutes late & then waited 25 minutes to leave. ill try doing both next week and see how it works out.
shutyourmouth
I buried my heart
1,886 Posts
37/F/MA

offline   (12)
May 29 2009 12:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
also for the people that said they go without eating, do you lift a lot? or mainly do cardio and some light lifting?
im just curious bc even at night i cant go right after work. i have to go home eat dinner, digest for 1.5-2 hours and then go work out.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Morning Workout People ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Morning Workout People

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?