forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› protein drinks on non workout days ›› new reply Post Reply
nobodygotstylelikeus

Time Husk
8,368 Posts
F/NA

offline   (1)
April 8 2009 9:22 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I normally drink a chocolate protein shake (2 large scoops with whole milk) on workout days only - post workout. (normally 4 days a week)

What are the thoughts on protein drinks on your days off? Would it be beneficial to add a low calorie protein drink to my days off - with water mixer in the morning, or switch to creatine supplement during workout?

My goals at this time are to stay lean and gain more mass in my chest area. I feel as if I've come to a stand still on my chest workout, no significant increases in the past few weeks.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
April 8 2009 1:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
What do you do for chest?

You need protein on your off days too. Nutrition is important all of the time. If you can't get the right amount of protein or calories with foods then supplementing is a good idea.
nobodygotstylelikeus
Time Husk
8,368 Posts
F/NA

offline   (1)
April 8 2009 2:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:pahulkster

What do you do for chest?

You need protein on your off days too. Nutrition is important all of the time. If you can't get the right amount of protein or calories with foods then supplementing is a good idea.

bench - 3 sets of 10 or until fail on last set (no more then 10)
chest fly - 3 sets of 10 or until fail on last set (no more then 10)
chest press machine - 3 sets of 10 or until fail on last set (no more then 10)
push ups (post cardio) - 3 sets of 30 - last set until fail

mix up bench as incline or decline occasionally

I do feel as if I get enough protein on my off days, but I shouldn't be taking a protein shake if I'm not active that day. Seems like the shake on my off day wouldn't be positive for my lean goal.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
April 8 2009 3:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
At most a protein shake in water will be 200 calories so I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as building the chest goes it's all about the technique you use. I have a friend that benches 460 at under 200lbs, and I have friend that benches 250 at under 200lbs. The one who benches 250 has probably twice the chest mass of the stronger bencher. It's kind of hard to explain the right technique without just showing you, but here are some things to remember.

Pull your shoulder blades together for the duration of the set. This puts your chest up and makes the pecs do a lot more of the work.

Control the negative portion (lowering) of the reps. Don't just let the bar drop and bounce off your chest.

Bring the bar all the way down, but not all the way up. The lockout portion of the bench press is nearly 100% triceps. Not locking out each rep keeps constant tension on the chest.

I would do

Flat or incline barbell bench
Dips, do them with weight if you can
Dumbbell flies (I like to start these normally, but finish the reps with my palms facing me)
Machine presses

Stick with either flat or incline for 4-6 weeks at a time then switch it up. You can use dumbbells too, but barbell presses are the king.
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (4)
April 8 2009 7:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
the only guys that i've noticed like "damn, hes got a big chest" are probably benching everyday they're in the gym. give it a shot, worst that'll happen is you get sore
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
46/M/PA

offline     (25)
April 9 2009 1:45 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Vary your chest workout. If your focus is on chest, then don't do so much volume in one day. Your workout is great if you want defined pecs but if it's bench strength you want, not so much.

Split your chest exercises into two different sessions per week no more than 3 exercises per session. Push-ups are fine for GPP work but don't overdo it.

Lastly, if you want to add some numbers to your bench, you gotta train your triceps. They are just as important to benching as your pecs are. I'd split it like this:

Day 1: Flat Barbell Bench, DB Flyes, Decline BP, Biceps exercises, push-ups.

Day 2: No chest work- do legs. Squats are king, but do whatever you do.

Day 3: Flat DB Bench, machine flyes, Incline BP, triceps exercises, abs.

Just a sample, I don't know how many days a week you train, but splitting it up means that you do less volume per workout allowing for faster recovery, and you can vary how you hit the muscle groups with better results.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
April 9 2009 1:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
if you take protein in the morning you will burn more fat all day, work out or not.
XWHISKEYX
Old Head
39,027 Posts
62/M/NA

offline   (23)
April 9 2009 1:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
speaking of protein shakes, I just got some soy protein to take after my workouts. The directions state to take an hour after I lift, the problem is that I mix with 6oz of milk, and I do an hour of cardio every day after I lift and the gym has no fridge that i could use. so by the time I finish cardio and get home its like an hour and 15 after I have lifted, am I missing out on feeding my muscles by this time? I cant do cardio first or i would be worth nothing, I like to lift early and then kill myself with cardio and collapse into my car for the drive home.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
April 9 2009 3:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Just take it when you get home. Nothing to worry about.
GLB_saint
GLB_saint
467 Posts
15/M/NA

offline   (5)
April 11 2009 5:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
take whey first thing in the morning on and off day and either another midday or pre bedtime
Bonsai
lol
5,293 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (10)
April 11 2009 5:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:GLB_saint

take whey first thing in the morning on and off day and either another midday or pre bedtime

That's overkill though if you're getting enough protein from food sources. You have to know what you're eating.

I just plug everything into FitDay and only supplement post workout and when my macros are off.

Same with vitamins and shit. I only supplement when my intake is low.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› protein drinks on non workout days ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: protein drinks on non workout days

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?