all threads All Threads ›› is anyone good with cars? ›› new reply Post Reply
miss laura

HAI MAJIDE
16,197 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (3)
April 6 2009 10:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
my driver's side window rattles (crackles?) when i roll it down, and then gets stuck halfway going back up.

i don't want to pay some sheisty mechanic a bunch of money to fix something that seems relatively harmless.

anyone want to take a look? or hazard a guess as to what might be the problem?
Deminuendo
I brought my axe.
2,611 Posts
36/M/PA

April 6 2009 10:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
make? model? year? electric windows?
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,769 Posts
42/M/PA

offline   (1)
April 6 2009 10:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
does it go all the way back up?
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 6 2009 10:45 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
might have to take apart the whole door panel to fix that problem.

i'm not 100% positive on this but it would be off the track. Have you slammed your door really hard recently?
miss laura
HAI MAJIDE
16,197 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (3)
April 6 2009 10:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
2000 Honda Civic EX
power windows and doors

it only started doing this last night. it was making that funny rattle/crackle noise when i went to go put it down, but it went all the way back up right until yesterday.

it got stuck halfway up, and i had to actually pull over on the tpk to fix it... and even then, i had to really pull on it while holding the button to get it to even shift a little bit back up.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,131 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (18)
April 6 2009 10:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
car door parkinsons?

miss laura
HAI MAJIDE
16,197 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (3)
April 6 2009 10:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

i'm not 100% positive on this but it would be off the track. Have you slammed your door really hard recently?

that's what makes me nervous. in my head, entire door panels coming off = complicated = expensive.

i haven't slammed it, it hasn't gotten hit by anything (cars, shopping carts, baseballs, etc), and everything else in the car works like a charm.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
April 6 2009 10:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Its not as bad as you think. Anyone that knows how to remove the inside of a door panel can pop it off in a matter of minutes. Problem is when you take it to a mechanic they hit up for labor on that.
miss laura
HAI MAJIDE
16,197 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (3)
April 6 2009 10:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

Its not as bad as you think. Anyone that knows how to remove the inside of a door panel can pop it off in a matter of minutes. Problem is when you take it to a mechanic they hit up for labor on that.

that's what i seem to be getting from all sides... it sounds like something anyone's dad could do in one afternoon.

i really don't want to take it to the mechanic. our guy is really nice and super fair with his pricing, but i'm sure just giving it a quick look-over is going to cost me mucho.

so who wants to take a look inside my car door???
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,769 Posts
42/M/PA

offline   (1)
April 6 2009 10:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:miss laura

2000 Honda Civic EX
power windows and doors

it only started doing this last night. it was making that funny rattle/crackle noise when i went to go put it down, but it went all the way back up right until yesterday.

it got stuck halfway up, and i had to actually pull over on the tpk to fix it... and even then, i had to really pull on it while holding the button to get it to even shift a little bit back up.

my wife's Jeep did almost the same exact thing.....it was making a grinding/cracking noise and would get stuck going half way up......so you would have to actually push it back up with your hand.

then a few days later it "popped" or something and then the whole window would not go up or down....totally went off the track.....it actually would fall down all by itself at that point....so i had to stick wood wedges in there to keep it up.

she got rid of that car though....but not just for that reason.
miss laura
HAI MAJIDE
16,197 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (3)
April 6 2009 10:54 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: sidney

Originally posted by:miss laura

2000 Honda Civic EX
power windows and doors

my wife's Jeep did almost the same exact thing.....it was making a grinding/cracking noise and would get stuck going half way up......so you would have to actually push it back up with your hand.

then a few days later it "popped" or something and then the whole window would not go up or down....totally went off the track.....it actually would fall down all by itself at that point....so i had to stick wood wedges in there to keep it up.

she got rid of that car though....but not just for that reason.

oh god, i hope i don't head in that direction.

come on folks, SOMEONE has to know something about cars, or know someone who does!
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,131 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (18)
April 6 2009 11:09 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
sell your car to sidneys wife. problem solved.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,769 Posts
42/M/PA

offline   (1)
April 6 2009 11:22 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
that shit is damaged.....no want.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,131 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (18)
April 6 2009 11:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
come on now! how much extra time do you have that you can afford to put a window the whole way down? if its only half way up, youre saving yourself an easy 5 seconds. BOOM! time = money! and this car is money in your families pocket!
Ian G.
Time Husk
5,391 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (8)
April 6 2009 11:29 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Andy Drifter

Originally posted by:WREN

your window regulator might need to be replaced.

you be saving about 400$- 500$ dollars from a mechanic if you do this by your self. The cost for this mite be about 200 $

look up your car/model/ year type window regulator

what he said, ive had the same problem on my car for like 2 years. if you have to physcially pull it up to shut the window i would get it fixed before it gets stuck. one time i was working on a car that had a stuck window and i tugged on it too hard, making the whole window shatter. lesson of the day, dont force the window up. the part is rediculously cheap for a civic.
miss laura
HAI MAJIDE
16,197 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (3)
April 6 2009 11:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
this is all helpful... i had a feeling it was something in the door, but i'm really trying to avoid paying a bunch of money just to have it looked at.
all threads All Threads ›› is anyone good with cars? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: is anyone good with cars?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?