all threads All Threads ›› Evolution of your music taste ›› new reply Post Reply
THE WAY

TAINT HUSK
7,956 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (29)
March 12 2009 10:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
started out with my grandmas old 8 track.The only albums i had were foreigner "hot blooded" and some fifties song 8 track with "leader of the pack" on it
and a whole shitload of country which i still dig sometimes

moved to phila area in 92

started listening to eagle 106 got into c+c music factory,jesus jones,emf,amy grant

my dad gets me black album tape and nirvana " nevermind"
fucking wore both tapes out.

got all metallica alums to date and pretty much tuned everything else out for a year or so.

introduced to pantera/sepultura right as chaos ad/far beyond driven dropped .
loved both immediately

that opened up the doors to death metal for me ,still i couldnt get over the growling until i heard "the bleeding by cannibal corpse which i could actually understand what he was singin.
so i went on a death metal only kick for a few years(would not listen to anything w/o low vox)

then i heard candiria "process of self development" loved the song with jamie hatebreed on it ,immediatley got" under the knife "and "satisfaction is the death of desire" those albums started me buying every hardcore record that was out at the time lol

as the years have passed i found myself getting into alt rock like at the drive in /minus the bear/killers/weezer/

Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
25,198 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (1)
March 12 2009 10:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
green day / beastie boys / hardcore / more hardcore
-Jeremy-
gary
62,973 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (21)
March 12 2009 10:22 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Rap in early junior high, brief nu-metal phase from 9th grade to about midway through 10th grade, then I got into hardcore and metal, and my taste has been broadening more and more ever since.
PH1L
Time Husk
8,056 Posts
35/M/CA

offline   (3)
March 12 2009 10:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Jr high I listened to a lot of rock, rap stuff, then got into HS and got into hardcore/punk, then graduated now into mostly metal now
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
March 12 2009 10:33 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Aside from drum and piano lessons, I really started getting into music when I was like 7 or 8. It started w/ 80's metal like queensryche, poison, warrant, guns n roses etc cause that's what my uncles listened to but was also way into synth pop like tears for fears, OMD, Duran Duran cause I thought synthesizer technology was so cool.

Then grunge came around and I got really into Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgraden, Mudhoney. Also listened to lots of gangsta rap in middle school like MC Eiht and Onyx and shit....

Started getting into some heavier shit like Pantera, Slayer, Metallica after Judgement Night Soundtrack, Enter Sandman video, original Cemetary Gates video, as well as lots of industrial and older gothy starting with Nine Inch Nails and Skinny Puppy and Bauhaus and Joy Division but getting into really obscure shit like Kevorkian Death Cycle (that was my screen name for like 10 years).

First half of high school I listened to pretty much only straight up death/black metal and industrial. Got an Integrity CD sometime in late 10th grade and saw Dysphoria play at a show around the same time and started getting into hardcore.

I'm always into hearing new shit but the classics are timeless to me like NIN, Joy Division, The Cure, Deftones, Tool, Pantera, and the like.

I still listen to pretty much everything aside from as much gangsta rap, not as much 80's metal, and no slayer.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
March 12 2009 10:33 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
classic rock + old hip hop + radio crap pre middle school
middle school was grunge, nirvana pearl jam etc
high school punk rock, industrial and hardcore
now, whatever the fuck i want to listen to
Pimp Snooky
Time Husk
1,348 Posts
38/M/WA

offline   (1)
March 12 2009 10:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I grew up mostly on the softer side of classic rock (The Eagles, Boston, Tom Petty, Chicago). At the age of 12 I was introduced to bands like Metallica, Slayer, Danzig and Megadeth through a friend of mine and his dad. The summer before 9th grade is when I heard Agnostic Front "Cause for Alarm/Victim in Pain" and instantly fell in love with it. I got really into bands like Agnostic Front, Warzone, Sick of it all and Desecendts. I listened to mostly old school east coast/youth crew style hardcore and punk in high school. Though I did really like more metal influenced bands like All Out War, Snapcase and Deadguy as well. Around 11th grade I also got into bands like Superchunk, Sunny Day..., At the Drive-In and the Getupkids. Along with britt pop like The Stone Roses and The Smiths/Morrissey.
It wasn't until the fall of 2002 that I decided hardcore was starting to seem stale to me. I started getting into bands like Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Shellac to name a few. These days I listen to a lot of different stuff ranging from bands like Superchunk, Cursive, Neutral Milk..., Blonde Redhead, Grizzly Bear, Beirut, 16 Horsepower to Massive Attack, The Album Leaf, Jesu, and Portishead. I'll occasionally throw on some old school hardcore for nostalgia.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
March 12 2009 10:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
My earliest recollection of my musical taste would be around when i was 5 and listening to things that my parents listened too. Styx's The Grand Illusion was my first favorite record. I also listened to alot of Elvis and The Beach Boys since those two are my dad's favorites.

Then my uncle introduced me into alot of the stuff he was listening too like Black Sabbath, Metallica, The Moody Blues, Bob Seger, George Thorogood, and some others.

MTV then played a pretty big role on what i listened too. I was probably 11 (1993) the first time i saw a White Zombie video. I also had already been to my first "metal" show and first rock concert by this point. Headbangers ball introduced me into alot of the metal bands i didn't know of up until that point.

Until i was in the midst of middle school my rotation included alot of White Zombie, Metallica, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Pantera, and the Misfits. It eventually progressed into Earth Crisis, Snapcase, All Out War...basically the entire victory records catalog back in the days of Victory Style 1-4.

I have been into metal since i started listening to Sabbath and Metallica. It's definitely progressed greatly since those days as i find myself listening to thrash, death, black, etc.

My hardcore days haven't really moved since i started. I never wanted to be "that guy" that talked about the "good old days" and found myself not liking any of the new bands but i've unfortunately have become that guy. It takes alot for a new band to impress me. I see all these bands that kids go apeshit over and i don't get it. Have Heart, Ceremony, and Trash Talk are examples.

At this point in my life i can pretty much listen to anything. I've been fortunate enough to have been introduced to tons of music in my 26 year existence and with the exception of Gospel and Country (minus Charlie Daniels) i can listen to it all.
Princess
youravoncom/lpinka
1,234 Posts
38/F/MD

offline   (13)
March 12 2009 10:48 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I liked musicals and soundtracks then I got into radio stuff until superdrag came out, went to all their shows.. first one at the old radio musical hall (now 9:30 club) got flyer'ed we realized shows happen every night, started saving my lunch money and going to shows .. just found out about other bands this way
once I turned 22 and a half I didn't want to hear any music, found talk radio and old time radio CD's ..Henry Aldridge is the one we listen to most cause my Grandma used to listen to that as a young girl ..
Now its kids songs (john lithgow's singing in the bathtub) and I write a lot of kids songs these days ..new album dropping 12-22-2012 (that's what my man always says, since its the day after the end of the world)
Ace of Spades
here be dragons
9,890 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (10)
March 12 2009 10:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
mom's 80's hair metal and dad's country

grunge... lots of nirvana

street punk, crust, oi, some black metal, some rockabilly, some hardcore

punk, oi, rac, some hardcore, rab, outlaw country, lots of psychobilly

the end.

edit:
somewhere towards the end of middle school and the beginning of high school i found myself sitting around scarlette's after the hardcore shows were over and the techno began.... did lots and lots of drugs- i blame them for my ownership of several techno cds, including some lords of acid. i think if i listened to that cd now my ears would bleed.

THE WAY
TAINT HUSK
7,956 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (29)
March 12 2009 11:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Mrs.G

Originally posted by: THE WAY

started out with my grandmas old 8 track.The only albums i had were foreigner "hot blooded" and some fifties song 8 track with "leader of the pack" on it

shangri las-leader of the pack. so remember this on 8 track.
I loved this song:)

is that johnnys ring you're wearing?
John Barlow
Vodka Party
17,778 Posts
68/M/PA

offline     (15)
March 12 2009 11:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
As a really young kid, I remember listening to Michael Jackson's 'History' pretty religiously. I also had a few Springstein albums on cassette and Billy Joel's 'Glass House'. My parents had very little influence on my musical taste aside from constantly introducing me to really good oldies (Chuck Berry, Beach Boys, Bill Haley and the Comets) via 98.1 WOGL. In elementary school I really started getting into classical music. I don't know who or what influenced me to do so (probably music history lessons), but I would go to Borders on weekends and get really cheap recording of orchestras performing Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Mozart, Grieg, etc. Popular (modern) music as a serious thing never really occurred to me until my brother got one of those BMG subscriptions. He started getting records like Nirvana's 'Nevermind', Pearl Jam's 'Ten', and Gin Blossom's 'New Miserable Experience'. I was obsessed with Nirvana for years. I also bought Sub Pop 200, and that snowballed into a love for all things grunge and the northwest punk explosion of the early/mid 90's. I started attending punk/ska shows with my brother, Mike, in 96' or 97'. There was a joint called the Sapphire Night Club that hosted shows for bands like Ruder Than You, The Vapids, The Skatalites, The Antics, etc. This was huge for me. Shows became my number one love. It wasn't too long before Mike started getting into hardcore and metal. I was reluctant at first because I didn't get all of the screaming and shit. Then I saw Murphy's Law and I was sold for life. It's been kind of weird ever since then.
Dianana
8====D
66,486 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (8)
March 12 2009 11:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:THE WAY

started out with my grandmas old 8 track.The only albums i had were foreigner "hot blooded"

all threads All Threads ›› Evolution of your music taste ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Evolution of your music taste

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?