forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› How Sore ›› new reply Post Reply
XWHISKEYX

Old Head
39,027 Posts
62/M/NA

offline   (23)
March 4 2009 8:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Should I be after lifting? I'm not as sore after lifting as I used to be years back after. I feel a bit of soreness but nothing major where as back in the day I would be really stiff/sore the day after. Am I lifting hard enough? Is this something that I should even pay attention to? When I lift I do so with what I consider enough weight to burn out at the end of my sets. Any advice?
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
March 4 2009 8:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
depends how hard of a session you have.

the only times i get the next day soreness is when i change my routine drastically. Like this new conditioning stuff that i'm doing with low rest times has killed me each time i did a new muscle group but i'm on my 2nd week of it now and i've noticed that my soreness is not on the level of last week.

If you are super sore i'd suggest some good stretching both before and after your workout. I'd also recommend the sauna afterwards too. I've noticed that has helped me greatly in the past.

soreness could also be because of bad form too. so look into that as well.
XWHISKEYX
Old Head
39,027 Posts
62/M/NA

offline   (23)
March 4 2009 9:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
that makes sense. I was worried I wasnt pushing myself hard enough although the amount of weight/reps I workout with is at a level that I know is challenging. I know my technique is better than it was, so basically not being as sore is a good thing.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
March 4 2009 9:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
well that depends on how you look at it. I won't say that i'm not sore ever after lifting but somedays i seem to hit the weights harder than other times and i feel it the next day. But for me the soreness isn't something unbearable its more some stiffness and it kind of makes me feel good. It's weird. But that little bit of soreness usually tells me that i did some good work the day before. If i'm in some serious pain the next day...well then i got to look at what i did wrong.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,883 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
March 4 2009 9:17 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
the only time i get sore is when i really try to break myself by adding extra sets or exercises
XWHISKEYX
Old Head
39,027 Posts
62/M/NA

offline   (23)
March 4 2009 9:19 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah, I def can feel some soreness and feel good but I was just remembering how sore I felt when I used to lift on a more serious level. I have been steadily increasing the weight I lift and have added an extra set to my routines along with a burn out at the end of each routine.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,883 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
March 4 2009 9:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i can do arm workouts for hours and not feel sore. sometimes i feel a little sore in the chest. i can't bench nearly as much as i want because i have no spotter, so i usually just go for higher reps
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,785 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
March 4 2009 9:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I think it depends on the person for the most part. A lot of people say soreness isn't an indicator of a good workout, but I tend to disagree. I kind of feel cheated if I'm not at least a little sore. That's not fool proof either though. There are lots of ways to get sore that won't really do much for you. Personally I get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) just about everywhere. Legs have always been the worst, and for some reason I get it two days after doing legs. It's happened every time I've done legs since I started lifting. Sore can definitely help you work on your technique and plan your routine. If I do a lot of benching and my chest isn't sore then I know my technique was off. Same goes for just about everything else. Over time I've taken out a lot of things that haven't made me sore because I feel they just don't work as well for me.
shutyourmouth
I buried my heart
1,886 Posts
37/F/MA

offline   (12)
March 4 2009 1:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i generally dont get too sore except in my legs. doing a lot of quad stuff and recently adding more weight on lunges and squats killed me for 2 days after.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
46/M/PA

offline     (25)
April 1 2009 12:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
It also depends on how you're hitting your muscles.

Example- I squat all the time, so even if I take a couple weeks off from squatting I will seldom get sore from it once I start again unless I do something different, like change the width of my stance, or wear a flat shoe as opposed to an O-lifting shoe, or go with a higher rep/lighter weight session.

Much of your athletic training, including weight training, has as much to do with your central nervous system as it does with your muscles. 'Muscle memory' is actually just embedded patterns of firing that your body stores in order to use less kinetic energy to move the weight. So if you start off getting back into training doing the same routines you did when you stopped, you might not be as sore because you probably haven't lost a lot of strength and 'muscle memory' as you think.

Solution? Try variations on your typical workout. If you barbell bench, for example, try going to dumbbells and alternate with inclines. If you do inclines, switch to a straight overhead press. If you don't currently squat or deadlift, start. You'll be sore. Oh yes, you will be sore.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› How Sore ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: How Sore

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?