forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› high fructose corn syrup and MSG ›› new reply Post Reply
cbrickhouse

vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
February 25 2009 5:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
anyone else avoid this shit? sick of it being in everything... gotta really watch the labels.
tom.
^__^
62,530 Posts
36/M/PA

offline     (5)
February 25 2009 5:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lipton natural tea rules.
Danforth
some guy
8,949 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (1)
February 25 2009 5:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
which one mr gus?
joe vena
BODYROTT
4,621 Posts
30/M/PA

offline     (6)
February 25 2009 5:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
have you seen those commercials defending high fructose corn syrup? so corny
stupid bitch
ffffffffffffffffff
1,498 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (4)
February 25 2009 5:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: the vena edge

these make me really angry. also, nice pun.
brian.
new cocks
146,076 Posts
35/M/IL

offline   (9)
February 25 2009 6:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I eat MSG dipped in high fructose corn syrup.
uthoughtuknewme
obscene
10,401 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (7)
February 25 2009 6:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
high fructose corn syrup has mercury in it. i avoid it when i can.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,743 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 25 2009 6:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Supposedly the MSG hype is completely unfounded.
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
30/M/ME

offline   (1)
February 25 2009 7:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
people don't realize HFCS is the exact same damn thing as table sugar, a near 50-50 mixture of glucose and sucrose. It used everywhere because it's cheaper to produce and ship than sucrose (table sugar). chemically HFCS is basically the same as honey, but honey contains some contaminants for bees that HFCS does not.

I don't explicitly avoid it, or MSG (once again, sodium is an essential nutrient and glutamate is an amino acid used in proteins--meaning your body knows how to process both sodium and glutamate--which is all MSG is).

The average American eats enough food in one day to sustain them for a week, and I don't mean the absolute minimum a person could survive on--I mean an active human being could live indefinitely on the amount of food for a week that the average American eats in a day.

my basic philosophy is eat whatever you want, but not in excess. anything is okay once in a while, but when in doubt go with the less processed alternative.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
February 25 2009 7:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: the vena edge

"its ok in moderation, silly!"
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
February 25 2009 7:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Cocoanut Grove

people don't realize HFCS is the exact same damn thing as table sugar, a near 50-50 mixture of glucose and sucrose. It used everywhere because it's cheaper to produce and ship than sucrose (table sugar). chemically HFCS is basically the same as honey, but honey contains some contaminants for bees that HFCS does not.

I don't explicitly avoid it, or MSG (once again, sodium is an essential nutrient and glutamate is an amino acid used in proteins--meaning your body knows how to process both sodium and glutamate--which is all MSG is).

The average American eats enough food in one day to sustain them for a week, and I don't mean the absolute minimum a person could survive on--I mean an active human being could live indefinitely on the amount of food for a week that the average American eats in a day.

my basic philosophy is eat whatever you want, but not in excess. anything is okay once in a while, but when in doubt go with the less processed alternative.

i stick to 2000 cal a day buddy. mostly fresh fruit and veggies.
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
30/M/ME

offline   (1)
February 26 2009 10:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:cbrickhouse

i stick to 2000 cal a day buddy. mostly fresh fruit and veggies.

uhh... good...? not sure why you would think I was singling you out, but hey maybe it's just one of those days for you.
Danforth
some guy
8,949 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (1)
February 26 2009 10:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
noob question here but what exactly is HFCS in? like what is the thing most people would consume and not realise it's in it?
InTheButtLikeWhat
get low
12,901 Posts
35/F/CA

offline   (6)
February 26 2009 10:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
anything that's sweet and comes in a box, bag, or jar.
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
30/M/ME

offline   (1)
February 26 2009 10:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
it's a cheap sweetener, and anything processed that also requires sweetening probably has this in it. so... sauces and glazes, instance stuffings, sodas, juices, teas, flavored milk, energy drinks, breads, cereals, candies, toppings, condiments, snacks (chips, cookies, dips, etc.), cough syrups, crackers, yogurts, pickles/relish, canned fruits, ice cream, salad dressings, soups.

if you're looking to avoid it you really have to check the label, because some companies will use it and others won't.
Eric Paradox
east bay grease
68,058 Posts
33/M/CA

offline     (33)
February 26 2009 11:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Ron as a person into chemistry I would think that you would know more about this - HFCS differs in more than just the ratio of 55-45 over 50-50; in fact some forms of HFCS are only 47% fructose, some even 40%. traditional table sugar is a disaccharide in which the fructose and glucose are bonded together, whereas in HFCS the glucose and fructose are free from each other which causes them to be broken down differently. in HFCS, instead of being absorbed throughout the body like the glucose, (as a disaccharide it would be carried with the glucose) the frucose goes to the liver and in general stays in your system instead of being quickly metabolized into energy. it's bad for diabetics because the free fructose does not produce an insulin response (nor does it trigger your metabolism like glucose), and it also doesn't produce the same feelings of fullness which causes people to eat more.

there's so much to say on the subject, and some great peer reviewed articles on it - if my memory above is spotty at all I will try and find the main article where I've gotten my info for the scientific analysis, its been a couple years cause I did this for one of my last college research papers. this is just the scientific info on how HFCS is broken down, the studies and the statistics are what's scary.

and the biggest reason HFCS is a problem is because, unless you eat all organic or natural foods, it is not used in moderation in the average person's life due to it being in practically everything we eat. if it was just in soda and sweets it would still be an issue, but being in so many things that people don't suspect is why it affects us so much. sodas are the biggest culprit (and we drink far more now than we used to); besides having the highest concentration of HFCS, it's a liquid... solid foods at least have a decent amount of the calories burned just in the chewing and digestion process. I feel like most people don't realize how much worse soda is than candy.

honestly, I would not entirely disagree if people considered HFCS as big of a contributor to obesity in the past 30 years as fast food.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› high fructose corn syrup and MSG ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: high fructose corn syrup and MSG

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?