forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Bigger Butt? ›› new reply Post Reply
shutyourmouth

I buried my heart
1,886 Posts
37/F/MA

offline   (12)
February 25 2009 12:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Don't know if guys really work on this too much but any girls or guys have any luck with specific exercises on this?

I already do lunges and squats with free weights. Also do a few machines; seated hamstring curl, seated hip abduction & one other machine similar to lying leg curls but the back part is pushed outward with the sole of your foot.

I've definitely seen some results as far as firmness & skin elasticity are concerned but I'm wondering what I can do to bulk it up.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 25 2009 1:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
You're not really going to add muscle to your butt without adding muscle everywhere else. Also remember that your glutes are huge (the actual muscle, not specific butts) so putting size on them can be a process. When you are trying to add size you need to use some good weight, and do sets where you fail at no more than 12 reps. Only take your last set to real failure, but be sure to make the rest of the sets count. If you are already doing squats and lunges with a barbell then you're definitely on the right track. Make sure you do your squats as deep as possible. The deeper you go the more it involves your glutes. I think the last machine you are talking about is a butt blaster. I've never used one, but it definitely seems like something that would work. Deadlifts can also destroy your glutes depending on your body structure. I've never seen a lighter weight female powerlifter or weightlifter without a nice ass. This is mainly due to squats and deads.

The only other exercises I would suggest are pull-throughs and glute ham raises. I do both of these and my ass is always sore, har har.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
February 25 2009 9:22 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
listen to sir mix a lot for 2 hours a day. the music will do the rest
shutyourmouth
I buried my heart
1,886 Posts
37/F/MA

offline   (12)
February 25 2009 2:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Thanks pahulkster. My legs have gotten a lot bigger in the last few months. I notice my quadriceps seemed to have developed more so I'm trying to focus more on my hamstrings and glute.
I think I definitely need to add more weight in what I'm already doing. As far as lunges and squats I've only been using dumbbells. To be honest I rarely see girls use the smith machines or using the barbells so it's kind of intimidating. I'm definitely going to try it with lighter weight first to see how that goes. I'll also try pull-throughs as well. There is a machine at my gym that is similar to the glute ham raise but it hurt my lower back pretty bad when I tried to use it. I had a fractured vertebrae a few years ago so I've been avoiding working my lower back until now.

Davey.
Baby Cole
43,573 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (13)
February 25 2009 2:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
jane fonda don't got a motor in the back of her honda.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
February 25 2009 2:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
smith machine makes it very easy to do squats
asking_for_it
Dave B. #2
4,663 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (15)
February 25 2009 2:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
my anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 25 2009 4:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Don't use a smith to do your squats. Regular barbell squats will hit your target areas much better. Definitely start with lighter weights, and work on your form. Remember to go all the way down to hit the glutes.

The low back machine you're talking about is probably some type of hyperextension machine. These aren't the same as doing glute ham raises. Very few gyms will have a regular ghr machine so you generally have to improvise. I do them by hooking my heels under whatever is the right height, and just going down like that. This way is extremely hard, but it really hits that area well.
brian.
new cocks
146,076 Posts
35/M/IL

offline   (9)
February 25 2009 4:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:cbrickhouse

smith machine makes it very easy to do squats

aka weak squats
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
February 25 2009 4:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
smith machine does not mean you can lift any less.
brian.
new cocks
146,076 Posts
35/M/IL

offline   (9)
February 25 2009 4:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
man up, do real squats
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 25 2009 4:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
You lift less weight on a smith and do it in a weird way. On something like bench or squats it is very reasonable to say you can add 50lbs or more to the lifts versus a barbell. 99% of the time you'll be better off using freweights instead of a smith. Even a specific machine for a body part is usually better than a smith machine.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
February 25 2009 4:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
it's still the same amount of weight. the bars the weight glides on does not make it any lighter.

i will agree with the weirdness for squats though. i don't use it for squats, i use it for bench because my right arm is still weaker than my left.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 25 2009 4:20 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It's definitely not the same amount of weight. It's the same amount of plates, but the actual resistance is much different. Same thing goes for regular selector machines. The bar weighs less plus it is balanced by the machine. You can lift the smith bar and throw it up to the top of the machine without much effort. If you can bench 250 with a barbell then 300 on a smith shouldn't be a problem.

You're probably doing more harm than good to yourself because the smith allows your strong arm to compensate for the weak one while doing the exercise. A regular barbell doesn't afford that luxury, and will make everything balance out.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
February 25 2009 4:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
well maybe i will give it a shot and see how it works. i do one armed sets on the smith machine to even my shit out.

main problem with my gym is the faggots always monopolize the regular benches. maybe i need to get there earlier
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
February 25 2009 4:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
That's every gym. Don't do bench on Mondays because that is the busiest time for it for whatever reason. Generally people in the gym are pretty accommodating to other members so you can probably get in without much trouble. If not just kill them.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Bigger Butt? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Bigger Butt?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?