something
23,443 Posts
30/M/ME

offline   (1)
September 28 2011 12:54 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Dickscraper

Originally posted by: Kevlar Moneyclips

Originally posted by: viva hate

A vegetarian diet is more ecologically friendly.

The amount of oil based pesticides sprayed over farmers fields does way more damage than the amount of cow poop sprayed over rancher's fields. This is very simply not a black and white argument.

sure i'll accept that. another fun fact is that a huge percentage of the farmer's fields are used simply to grow food to feed the cows that spray their poop everywhere.

Just chiming in to let you know that most beef and pork consumed in America is from animals fed things like stover, distillers grains, chaff, autolyzed yeast, copra, bran, grass clippings, beet cossettes and other industry byproducts that would never have otherwise entered the human food stream. In most cases they are the things from food grown for humans that humans cannot eat like corn stalks, seed casings, coconut cum husks, etc. so your argument is not actually valid since if there were no major meat industries these byproducts would probably just be burned or dumped in the ocean or something. Although I'm sure you would suggest we just have giant compost heaps all over the place spontaneously combusting and setting children on fire during their soccer games. Or maybe you just want us all to die from Coccidioidomycosis from all the fungal spores released from mountains of moldy vegetables.

I agree that the present meat industry is an ecological catastrophe, though.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
27,533 Posts
32/M/IL

online   (11)
September 28 2011 1:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
so basically what you're saying is the animals we're eating are extremely malnourished and unhealthy and pumped full of hormones to keep them alive and fat? okay, i guess most people should be fine with that, so long as corn husks and whatever shit you mentioned don't go to waste.
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
30/M/ME

offline   (1)
September 28 2011 2:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I didn't say your whole argument was invalid, and I didn't say anything about malnourishment or hormones. Cows are ruminants--so they're capable of extracting nutrients from corn stalks and beet pulp. All I was saying is that your argument that fields on which human food could be grown are being used to grow food for cattle is not true. Human food and cattle food are grown on the same fields but we eat different parts of the plant.

When you lie to prove your point it makes people think your point is not true as well, and "the meat industry is bad for the environment" is kind of a bankshot argument you really shouldn't have to make shit up.
InTheButtLikeWhat
get low
12,901 Posts
36/F/CA

offline   (6)
September 28 2011 2:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
from epa.gov-

"about eighty percent of all corn grown in the U.S. is consumed by domestic and overseas livestock, poultry, and fish production."

also from that page, 72 million acres are used to grow corn in the us. so 52.6 million acres of land are being used to grow food for our food.

now this part im really just hypothesizing without any solid proof but i think it's plausible- if that land was used to grow food for humans we'd be able to feed about 5x as many people as we currently do with meat. most animals, especially the larger ones like cows, are not an efficient food source.

and i'm really not suggesting everyone go vegetarian immediately, but perhaps in the future we wont have a choice.
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (4)
September 28 2011 5:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
America is in the middle of an obesity epidemic. We have an overabundance of cheap plant based food devoid of nutrition. As to the rest of the world starving while we get fat- you going vegetarian is not going to convince american farmers to ship wheat to somalia below cost.

This is not a black and white argument.
HornieBoi69
schweppes4twomp
1,287 Posts
9/M/OH

offline   (3)
September 28 2011 6:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Dickscraper

corn husk

forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› "Meat is for Pussies" ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: "Meat is for Pussies"

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB