forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› I want to buy a mountain bike. ›› new reply Post Reply
DougEfresh

Fuck it, who cares
1,908 Posts
39/M/NJ

offline   (6)
June 19 2007 9:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't know if this is the right forum for this but I figured here would be a good place since riding a bike is exercise and all.

Anyway, I want a decent bike, but I only want to spend around three or four hundred. It will be used mainly for street riding so it doesn't have too be anything professional or whatever, just decent enough that it won't be breaking and shit.

I was thinking a Trek or maybe a Giant. Any recommendations would be cool because I really don't know shit about mountain bikes.
Sarcastic Existence
SICK GUY
16,066 Posts
32/M/PA

offline   (6)
June 19 2007 9:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
You don't need to spend that much money on a bike. I got an alright for like $100 some at Target. Heh. Works fine.
DougEfresh
Fuck it, who cares
1,908 Posts
39/M/NJ

offline   (6)
June 19 2007 10:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, but I'm a big guy. I rode my sisters Wal-mart bike a few weeks ago when I went camping and I managed to get a flat and break the chain within about an hour. I don't want to spend that much, believe me I'm all for saving money but I'm pretty hard on bikes and I don't want it to be falling apart on me.

But out of curiosity what kind of bike did you get from Target?
Sarcastic Existence
SICK GUY
16,066 Posts
32/M/PA

offline   (6)
June 19 2007 10:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
A Schwinn Ranger Fs2.6
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,743 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 20 2007 2:10 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I have an Iron Horse Maverick so that is what I'll recommend. It's in your price range, and they are good quality. Don't get something at Walmart or Target because you'll just end up getting a decent bike eventually anyway. Go to a real bike shop, lay down your budget, and ride some bikes.
DougEfresh
Fuck it, who cares
1,908 Posts
39/M/NJ

offline   (6)
June 21 2007 8:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: pahulkster

I have an Iron Horse Maverick so that is what I'll recommend. It's in your price range, and they are good quality. Don't get something at Walmart or Target because you'll just end up getting a decent bike eventually anyway. Go to a real bike shop, lay down your budget, and ride some bikes.

I honestly thought you were bullshitting with a name like Iron Horse Maverick. But that bike looks pretty damn nice. Aluminum frame. Disk brakes. Not too expensive. My friend has a Giant that looks real similar. Are disk breaks really better that the standard bike breaks?
DougEfresh
Fuck it, who cares
1,908 Posts
39/M/NJ

offline   (6)
June 24 2007 7:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm impatient and this is looking pretty good. Anyone else have suggestions? click here for link
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,743 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 24 2007 9:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Hahaha I guess it's not a well known name. Their bikes are really nice regardless. Disc brakes stop extremely well, and make taking the front tire off retardedly easy. That is basically the exact bike that I have, but mine is just two years old.
jen dobbs
Time Husk
5,515 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (10)
June 26 2007 9:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
The bike shops here, show you what they have to work within your budget-I would suggest going to a bike shop, that is helpful to what you want and your budget.
DougEfresh
Fuck it, who cares
1,908 Posts
39/M/NJ

offline   (6)
June 27 2007 8:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Yeah I've looked at a few bike shops, but they all seem terribly overpriced. I am definitely on a budget and I'd rather just order online and put the bike together myself. I'm not sure what REI is?

Hahaha I guess it's not a well known name. Their bikes are really nice regardless. Disc brakes stop extremely well, and make taking the front tire off retardedly easy. That is basically the exact bike that I have, but mine is just two years old.

Definitely nice. This is what I'm thinking of getting as of now. Thanks a lot for the recommendation. My friend who mountain bikes also said these are good bikes. Hopefully I'll be ordering this in the next week or two. Just curious but do you know if disc brakes are hard to assemble? I used to ride BMX so disc brakes are new to me.
DougEfresh
Fuck it, who cares
1,908 Posts
39/M/NJ

offline   (6)
June 29 2007 12:17 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Bought it last night online. This is going to be the longest ten business days EVER!
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,743 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 29 2007 4:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've never put them together so I can't say. The concept is really simple so it doesn't seem more complicated than any other type of bike brakes. The disc connects to the wheel hub, and the cable just pulls the caliper closed. Wouldn't the bike come assembled anyway?
(dave)
timebombhc
15,088 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (1)
June 29 2007 4:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
(dave)
timebombhc
15,088 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (1)
June 29 2007 4:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
most bikes that come mailorder all you have to do is put the front wheel and handlebars on, and connect the brake cables
DougEfresh
Fuck it, who cares
1,908 Posts
39/M/NJ

offline   (6)
June 29 2007 10:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: (dave)

click here for link

That's a pretty nice cruiser. I was originally thinking about getting a BMX but my friend talked me out of it. I think I'm going to be happy with the bike I bought. I probably should have done a little more research first, but fuck it. I'm impatient. And besides it's just for fun. Drunken bike riding in the middle of the night, ha! I can't wait.
DougEfresh
Fuck it, who cares
1,908 Posts
39/M/NJ

offline   (6)
June 29 2007 10:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

I've never put them together so I can't say. The concept is really simple so it doesn't seem more complicated than any other type of bike brakes. The disc connects to the wheel hub, and the cable just pulls the caliper closed. Wouldn't the bike come assembled anyway?

I actually ended up paying $60 more for the pro build. This way I will get a warranty and I'll only have to do about ten minutes of assembling. The total was $440 with shipping. I can't wait to get this thing. If for some outlandish reason I hate it (which is highly unlikely) it's going on Ebay.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› I want to buy a mountain bike. ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: I want to buy a mountain bike.

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?