forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› super set question ›› new reply Post Reply
WREN

Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 5 2007 10:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i've honestly never known the answer to this because i hardly ever do them unless working out with someone that is doing them.

whats the benefit?
brenoritvrezorkre
tortiteniphates
26,685 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (3)
June 5 2007 12:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't do them but I assume it's that your body is constantly in motion and you don't really get a 'rest' for each set. You just go right into another motion.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 5 2007 1:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i'm sure there is a benefit to them since alot of bodybuilders do them.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,744 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
June 5 2007 2:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't see why you'd avoid them. Supersets are one of the best intensity techniques out there. Many people only train in supersets and get great results. You can do a lot of different things with these. One way is to use antagonist muscles to really work and pump a specific area of your body. An example would be to do bench presses, then chins, then something like pullovers. This will basically pump your entire upper body. You can also use them to really fatigue one specific area of your body. If you were doing shoulders you could do an exercise for each head of the deltoid all in sequence. Like military press into side laterals into bent over laterals. It's very demanding but enables you do really work the muscle to its foundation. I like to do arm supersets because I really don't enjoy working arms, and like to make the workout short and very effective. I'll typically do something like barbell curls into skull-crushers into wrist curls. This will make your entire arm pumped and you'll know you worked out.

Milos Sarcev is a huge proponent of giant set training, which is superset training taken to its limits. Obviously Milos is enhanced so you don't want to follow everything exactly, but he will do twelve exercises in a row for one body part without stopping. Four rotations of that and you will be guaranteed to work every fiber and cell in your muscles. Dave Draper is also huge into more moderate supersets and has a lot of info on his site. He's been doing them since the 60s so it's a proven method.

It's mainly a way of adding extra stress to your muscles to achieve maximum results. Drops sets, rest/pause, negatives, forced reps, 21s, etc all have their uses.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,744 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
June 5 2007 2:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Not necessarily. You have to use a little less weight for supersets but weight is only one of the factors when trying to achieve muscle growth. If you take Milos as an example again he will use 10lb dumbells for certain exercises when he trains Mr. Olympia competitors.

Perfect form is certainly something to aim for, but having completely strict perfect form 100% of the time is what Bally's trainers tell housewives to do with their plastic dumbells. A little bit of body motion can do a long way if you know how to use it. The main thing is just to focus on muscle contraction on both parts of whatever movement you're doing. You should be able to use a full range of motion on all of your reps regardless of doing supersets or not. You can push past this and do partials until complete failure, but this is extremely demanding and should be used sparingly.

As far as sets/reps go you just have to experiment and see what works best for you body. Most of my training is done is a typical fashion but I do utilize supersets when I feel they work better. This goes for any of the intensity techniques.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,744 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
June 5 2007 3:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
click here for link

click here for link

click here for link

These are some examples of the way Milos will use different techniques other than just piling on weight to increase workout intensity. Again, these guys are enhanced very experienced but you can get an idea.
asdfjasfjas
Dead Serious
14,498 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 7 2007 2:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Those videos are intense. I'm considering adding some light super set work to my routines. Nothing as hardcore as them, but a little bit to change things up
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› super set question ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: super set question

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?