forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Pesticides are killing us ›› new reply Post Reply
xandresxpetx

snow white
1,639 Posts
47/F/PA

offline   (1)
June 3 2007 2:45 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
In the article "Americans for Safe Food - Some Chemicals Found in Food," Townsend Letter for Doctors3 is an article on a few dangerous but common chemicals:

"Captan: a fungicide that causes cancer in lab animals...used on various fruits, nuts, and vegetables including apples, peaches, almonds, strawberries, beans, peas, beets, carrots, corn, garlic, cabbage, lettuce, potatoes, kale, spinach, and broccoli...has been found in oils, fats, and shortenings...used in postharvest treatments for potatoes and fruit, sometimes in packing boxes...used as a seed treatment on corn and soybeans...toxic to fish, bees, earthworms, and birds.

"Parathion (ethyl parathion): an insecticide that causes birth defects in chicks and ducklings...evidence suggests it could be carcinogenic in laboratory animals...used on cotton, tobacco, and many fruit and vegetable crops...banned in 6 countries...direct exposure extremely hazardous...highly toxic to birds, bees, and other non-pest species.

"Daminozide: trade name Alar, manufactured by Uniroyal Company...applied as a plant-growth regulator to apple and other orchard crops (cherry, nectarine, peach, prune, pears, grapes) to increase the fruits' storage life, firmness, and coloring...also approved for use on peanut crops...systemic chemical penetrates the whole fruit and cannot be removed by washing or peeling...causes cancer in laboratory animals...a breakdown product (unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine, UDMH) is an even more potent carcinogen.

"Paraquat: a potent herbicide used to prepare fields for planting or harvesting...used on soybean crops as a harvest aid...extremely poisonous on direct exposure...toxic to fish and other species.

"Benomyl: a postharvest fungicide used on apples, peaches, cherries, plums, apricots, nectarines, pears, pineapples, bananas, mangoes, etc...linked to malignant tumors and birth defects in laboratory animals...highly toxic to earthworms and some species of fish.

"Methyl Bromide: used as a pre-plant soil fumigant and as a post-harvest fumigant to control insects on stored nuts, grains, fruits, and vegetables...very toxic on direct exposure - 60 deaths since 1955...Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), awaiting results of studies regarding cancer, birth defects and mutations, nevertheless recently allowed use of methyl bromide on macadamia nuts, fava beans, sweet potatoes, pistachio nuts, kiwi fruit, cereals, flour, spices, root crops, lentils, and leafy vegetables.

"Trifluralin: also known as Treflan...contains a suspected carcinogen, NDPA...commonly used on carrots, soybeans, cotton, wheat, and barley...EPA awaiting more data on health risks.

"Chlorothalonil: trade name Bravo...a fungicide found to cause tumors in rats and mice...used on various vegetables, fruits, and beans including tomatoes, onions, broccoli, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, lettuce, potatoes, and watermelon...highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates.

"Linuron: an herbicide used on crops including soybeans, carrots, celery, asparagus, corn, potatoes, and wheat...associated with tumors in rats and mice...contaminates ground and surface water supplies.

"Aflatoxin: a powerful carcinogen produced naturally by a mold that grows on crops including field corn and peanuts...human exposure primarily from peanuts and milk from dairy cows raised on contaminated feed...one experiment produced tumors in all rats eating food contaminated with 15 parts aflatoxin per billion.

"Clorsulon: used to treat livestock afflicted with a type of parasitic flatworm called a fluke...a suspected carcinogen (kidney tumors).

"Fenbendazole: used to treat cattle for parasites...a mutagen and a possible carcinogen.

"Thibendazole (TBZ): used to treat livestock for parasitic intestinal worms...a suspected carcinogen...also used for postharvest treatments of bananas, citrus, apples, pears, sugar beets, and potatoes to protect
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
30/M/ME

offline   (1)
June 3 2007 2:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I made Methyl Bromide in Orgo once... I don't remember what we used it for but no one said it was any more toxic than anything else... that's hilarious.
Tml Matus
(+[ ]+)
1,592 Posts
31/M/FL

offline   (1)
June 3 2007 3:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
... man ... who cares? ... by the time we even feel anything ... we'll be in the mids of world war 3 ... fuck it ... i'll eat what i want when i want!
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
30/M/ME

offline   (1)
June 3 2007 3:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I love that they included Union Carbide as the manufacturer of Temik as if Bhopal and 18,000 dead Indians wasn't enough to convince people that yes, pesticides are harmful to humans.
wowzers
Time Husk
28 Posts
37/F/VA

June 4 2007 1:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Well this is rather disturbing, but what are we going to do? Not eat anything, or grow stuff ourselves? Just doesn't seem reasonable.
kibo
kibo
22 Posts
45/M/NA

June 7 2007 3:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
you must go to serbia and taste drench, RAKIJA!!!!
THIS DRINK HEAL ALL !!!!!!!!! :)
40 UP TO 85% ALCOHOL :)
YOU MUST TASTE OUR FOOD, NO Geneticaly fucking shit.......
and if you ride mtb, XC, have pulse 36....you safe yourself up to death
is there somebody who ride bike?
xandresxpetx
snow white
1,639 Posts
47/F/PA

offline   (1)
June 11 2007 8:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
huh?
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Pesticides are killing us ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Pesticides are killing us

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB