forum Politics and Society ›› Ford pardoned Nixon... ›› new reply Post Reply
white trash dirt bag

pass the whore
2,167 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (6)
December 28 2006 2:48 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
...and said he did it to "heal the country", and he seems sincere in his own thinking of this. but if "heal" was to return to the status quo that could produce a Nixon in the first place, then he definitely did the right thing. the types of reforms that might have come in the wake of a president's impeachment sentencing - to limit the powers of the president's office, for instance - might have come in handy since then, namely during the last six years or so.
numero uno
philosopher
3,003 Posts
63/M/TX

December 28 2006 2:50 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Ford spoke at an auditorium right across the street from a gas station I was working at.
Dirty Old Fuck
Ball Buster
1,738 Posts
13/M/NA

offline   (1)
December 28 2006 1:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
He was also on the Warren Commission which covered up the Kennedy assassination for 100 years.. and was NEVER elected to begin with
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (4)
December 28 2006 1:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Dirty Old Fuck

and was NEVER elected to begin with

Agnew quit...not much other choice.

He's dead...who cares?
white trash dirt bag
pass the whore
2,167 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (6)
December 28 2006 1:45 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:LastOnePicked

He's dead...who cares?

for the same reason you take apart an old 350 v8 before you rebuild a new one, it's always worthwhile to look at how the powers of the office have been misused in the past.

he took a bullet for the machine when he brushed Nixon under the rug, so it could resurface unblemished 4 years later with reagan.
he didn't do it to "heal the nation", he did it to heal the Republican party.

it may be about time to start looking for the parallels in this administration and try to keep them from getting away with it again.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (4)
December 28 2006 1:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:white trash dirt bag

Originally posted by:LastOnePicked

He's dead...who cares?

for the same reason you take apart an old 350 v8 before you rebuild a new one, it's always worthwhile to look at how the powers of the office have been misused in the past.

he took a bullet for the machine when he brushed nixon under the rug, so it could resurface unblemished 4 years later with reagan.
he didn't do it to "heal the nation", he did it to heal the republican party.

it may be about time to start looking for the parallels in this administration and try to keep them from getting away with it again.

I just think it's funny that nobody opens their mouth about ford until the day after he dies. One side's trying to preserve his legacy, and the other's trying to destroy it.
white trash dirt bag
pass the whore
2,167 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (6)
December 28 2006 1:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
no, and i think there is some truth to that, but i think it's more like one side is trying to deify him like they did with reagan, and the other side is trying to look at him with historical perspective.

i haven't really seen anyone in the media or elsewhere really trying to villify the man, but maybe i haven't been watching the news enough. i'm sure there may be some people on that extreme, but in the end, we've had far worse presidents than ford.

hey - we've got one of them now! lucky us.
Racer X
lost in the ether
1,833 Posts
90/M/NY

offline   (3)
December 28 2006 8:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
white trash dirt bag
pass the whore
2,167 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (6)
December 30 2006 9:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
if Nixon had gone to prison instead of being pardoned, there would most likely have been some major legislation passed in the way of better checks and balances to prevent what he did from happening again, limiting presidential powers, i.e. 'executive order' powers, etc., and we might not be living in the past like we have been for the last six years. i can think of at least 650,000 reasons why that would have been a good thing.

look, Ford seemed like a super nice guy that, and of all ex-presidents, would probably be one of the nicest and most relaxed to just hang out with and watch college football or something.

so this has nothing to do with him personally, but when you hold the office of president, you aren't just subject to personal analysis and 'popularity' contests, but studied for your role in history and this thing called "politics". he should be respected for being a kind, nice man, but this isn't about him as a 'man', it's about him as a cog in history.

so alright, here's the thing: was anyone else watching the service just now? because Cheney just made a eulogy speech for him that was so obviously about justifying his own current incarnation of the party's brand of corruption and cronyism, that Ford is to be cannonized for "saving the country" [by pardoning Nixon], and that's just something I can't take lying down.

all of Nixon's crimes should have been aired for public witness and record, and reform, not just the ones the republican party leadership of the time decided we should know about.
after all, we're the ones that pay for our politicians' mistakes, as well as their salaries. we always forget that, but we are their boss, not the other way around.

and a little code-breaking here is once again in order and deserves repeating: when they say "he saved the country", what they mean is "he saved the Republican party". The 'country' would have been far better off with a decade of caps on power abuse and reforms of the Executive office, than it was served by being spared any 'trauma' of the 'horror' of their unveiling. [And seriously, could anything really have shocked Americans into paralysis in the decade that showed us napalmed babies and charles manson?]

so, yeah, Ford seemed like a nice guy. totally. but that doesn't mean we should censor and sanitize his place in history. if he really wanted what was best for America, and i think he did, he wouldn't want us to be crippled by its censorship, and it is a disgrace to his honor and to his integrity to do so.

let him be laid to rest in peace and with respect for all of his virtues, but let's not go simple on the events he lived through and was a part of. Nixon sucked and should have = gone to jail. and all his crimes should have been put in every high school history book as a reminder of what NOT to do if you're president.

the part of Ford that was 'what was best in all of us' wouldn't have wanted to hamstring us like that.

and if these scumbags eulogizing him today had it their way, they'd hide a whole lot more corruption, war profiteering, etc. from us, and then claim they were again "healing the country", but would actually just be trying to distract us from the fact that they were the ones that made us "sick" in the first place.

how ironic was it to see Dick Cheney up there, the man who singlehandedly made $40 million dollars off his Haliburton stock alone because of the war he started in Iraq, just one stock of what is undoubtedly a varied and expansive portfolio.
how disgusting to use a president's death for facetime and personal justifcation like that.

and the people are swallowing it hook, line, and sinker.
slutpunch
I want pizza!
8,766 Posts
35/M/PA

offline     (29)
December 30 2006 9:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
nixon was a better president than Kennedy at least, Nixon ended the Vietnam war which Kennedy didn't and he also opened up relations with china
lottery hypnosis
Prof. Mammalchicke
2,066 Posts
12/M/PA

offline   (3)
December 30 2006 9:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
slutpunch
I want pizza!
8,766 Posts
35/M/PA

offline     (29)
December 30 2006 9:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:lottery hypnosis

^one such cheap hooker with spooge dripping down her chin.

whoa i just got served...now i gotta serve it back and then its on....i know some sweet line dancing
lottery hypnosis
Prof. Mammalchicke
2,066 Posts
12/M/PA

offline   (3)
December 30 2006 9:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
slutpunch
I want pizza!
8,766 Posts
35/M/PA

offline     (29)
December 30 2006 9:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
^a vaginal infection that looks like caramel

was that good or no?

shazam!
white trash dirt bag
pass the whore
2,167 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (6)
December 30 2006 10:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
oh well...
slutpunch
I want pizza!
8,766 Posts
35/M/PA

offline     (29)
December 30 2006 10:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
dimebag's not dead he's undead
forum Politics and Society ›› Ford pardoned Nixon... ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Ford pardoned Nixon...

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?