forum Politics and Society ›› NSA tracking all U.S. phone calls ›› new reply Post Reply
Dirty Old Fuck

Ball Buster
1,738 Posts
13/M/NA

offline   (1)
May 11 2006 10:55 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Report: NSA tracking all U.S. phone calls
By UPI Staff
United Press International
May 11, 2006

WASHINGTON (UPI) -- Three major U.S. telephone companies are providing the National Security Agency with records of every phone call made, USA Today reported Thursday.

Sources who asked not to be identified told the newspaper AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth are contributing to a massive database of the calls, which will be used to analyze calling patterns to detect terrorist activity.

The three telecommunications companies are working under contract with the NSA, which launched the program in 2001 shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, sources said.

Customers' names, street addresses and other personal information are not being handed over as part of NSA's domestic program, the sources said. But the phone numbers the NSA collects can easily be cross-checked with other databases to obtain that information.

Among the telecommunications companies, sources said only Qwest has refused to help the NSA because it was uneasy about the legal implications of handing over customer information to the government without warrants.

Copyright 2006 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,504 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
May 11 2006 1:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
And our cowardly representatives will STILL not impeach this fascist jackass.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
39/M/PA

offline   (4)
May 11 2006 1:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yep, this is pretty ridiculous.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,504 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
May 11 2006 1:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
"He's done nothing to warrant an impeachment."

Lying to the american public.
warrantless wiretapping... which IS illegal. That is why we have LAWS against it.
detaining an american citizen without charges... which is also illegal. Why? Because we have specific laws against it.

"You're gullible and very, very unintelligent"

I'd LOVE to hear how you know that. I'm not worried, though.. I'm sure you will demonstrate your own intellect or lack thereof around here very soon.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,504 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
May 11 2006 1:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
^No fucking joke!

But what else can we expect after... "the death of outrage". Amazing how so many were so quick to decry the public for not calling for Clinton's head after he lied about cheating on his wife... yet put up with all this criminal, lying, unamerican bullshit form Bush while he runs our country into the ground like he did every single company he ever ran.

... but the question is... if Bush only ended up making a profit by selling his companies after mismanaging them... who is going to buy our country when he is ready to bail out on it???
tom.
^__^
62,525 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
May 11 2006 3:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
this has nothing to do with bush..
it's an NSA operation and this is minor stuff. you'd be surprised at what a lot of your government organizations do..
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,504 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
May 11 2006 4:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
"this has nothing to do with bush.."

Haven't been paying much attention, have you? Bush has been the one who has been okaying things like this. Warantless wiretapping? That went through Bush... rather than congress or the FISA courts.

(brian)
Time Husk
5,796 Posts
32/M/PA

May 11 2006 4:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i'm gunna go out on a limb here and say tom probably knows slightly more about this than you do.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,504 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
May 11 2006 4:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
^Easy enough to fact check...click here for link

"Sources with knowledge of the program told CNN on Friday that Bush signed the secret order in 2002. The sources refused to be identified because the program is classified."

tom.
^__^
62,525 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
May 11 2006 10:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i'll say this much about projects like this..
all are approved and conducted by the government officials that head each agency. i was wrong in saying that this has nothing to with the president, because he does have to sign off on all projects. what i should have said is that the attention on this subject should be more directed towards michael hayden since him and his staff were the ones that created the plan and exceeded the bounds on what the proposal actually was.
Jeremy DeLa
NLFTW
15,148 Posts
32/M/DE

offline     (5)
May 11 2006 10:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
what are you doing that the nsa could possibly care about?

who cares, they can see all the phone calls i make and see where i live for all i care. i'm not taking part in terroristic activity. so i could care less. they're not looking for me or any of you. so stop whining.
Toilet Fleet
VoxRepublica.com
1,699 Posts
34/M/NY

May 11 2006 11:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:XComeOutSwinginX

what are you doing that the nsa could possibly care about?

who cares, they can see all the phone calls i make and see where i live for all i care. i'm not taking part in terroristic activity. so i could care less. they're not looking for me or any of you. so stop whining.

That is quite possibly the absolute worst logic in the history of the world.
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
30/M/NA

offline   (1)
May 12 2006 7:07 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
^ Especially when groups like the Quakers are on the list of security threats, along with other peaceful anti-war groups.
Dwarn
9/11 = Inside Job
5,927 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
May 12 2006 9:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Maybe this will make people wake up and smell the fascism.
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
30/M/NA

offline   (1)
May 12 2006 9:22 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Well, if I'm not wrong these records are already kept and can be looked at by the government when they want anyway...

It's just they're requesting them before they happen, as it were, rather than afterwards.

Ultimately, whatever they do with this, they could have been doing before anyway...If I'm right in the above 2 lines.
Toilet Fleet
VoxRepublica.com
1,699 Posts
34/M/NY

May 12 2006 9:50 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
So they're making records of all the calls, eh? I think it's time for the computer security community to have fun with this one. Reprogram your old war dialers to hit nothing but (800), (888), and (866) numbers. Flood them with junk calls to junk numbers, beat them at their own game. No matter how well they index calls, they still need manpower to analyze it all; if 1000 people make 1000 bogus calls a day, that's a million extra phone "conversations" that require analysis, archiving, and interpolation.
forum Politics and Society ›› NSA tracking all U.S. phone calls ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: NSA tracking all U.S. phone calls

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?