forum Musicians' Forum ›› Best strings for an Ovation Applause? ›› new reply Post Reply
Dwarn

9/11 = Inside Job
5,952 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
March 6 2006 10:32 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't know if it's the strings, or just the fact that it's an Ovation, but it sounds tinny as all hell. Fucking with the Eq knobs doesn't do much at all, either. What strings do you recommend?
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
41/M/NJ

offline   (5)
March 6 2006 2:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I use elixirs on my ovation (light gauge I think). I forget which model it is, but it's the one with the dozen little sound holes instead of the main central one. I have good bass response on mine.
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
35/M/PA

offline     (20)
March 6 2006 3:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
elixir's are tight, ovations are not.
narwhal
acid
2,352 Posts
29/M/CT

offline   (2)
March 6 2006 3:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
its the plastic back on the guitar
Marc McFly
www.thekilling.com
2,706 Posts
34/M/NJ

offline   (14)
March 6 2006 3:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i recently been using Martin: Clapton's Choice strings on all my acoustics
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
33/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
March 6 2006 11:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
if your guitar sounds tinny, its usually because of the materials, not the strings. applause are kinda like that, i had one. just use a phospher bronze string not an 80/20. try changing your saddle to plastic if it isnt already, bone bridges sound a little brighter. I use john pearse strings, i think they sound great. elixer's suck, its like fucking with a condom on.
ftd_killamike
Killa mike
170 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (9)
March 9 2006 12:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Ditch the ovation. You'll understand why when 10 years down the road the middle seam splits due to the wood expanding and the plastic giving it nowhere to go.
Dwarn
9/11 = Inside Job
5,952 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
March 10 2006 4:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I am so sorry I bought this Ovation. This guitar is a prime example of "looks nice but sounds like shit." I'm probably going to sell it.
guitar_rock666
Time Husk
19 Posts
28/M/NA

offline   (1)
March 10 2006 4:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i work in a guitar shop and we have loads of ovations best thing to do is put some EXP strings on it they are awesome trust me
ftd_killamike
Killa mike
170 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (9)
March 13 2006 2:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: guitar_rock666

i work in a guitar shop and we have loads of ovations best thing to do is put some EXP strings on it they are awesome trust me

I also work at a music store and yeah the Exp's are nice strings also elixir recently came out with some phospher bronze coated strings if you feel you have to have coated. I think it takes away from the tone though
forum Musicians' Forum ›› Best strings for an Ovation Applause? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Best strings for an Ovation Applause?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?