October 30 2016 10:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
tom.
^__^
62,529 Posts
34/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (5)
October 5 2017 6:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lol thanks for bumping, brian curtin.

coming to faith is still by far the best thing that has ever happened to me. completely loving life right now. anyone interested in learning more, come talk to me.
brian.
new cocks
143,601 Posts
33/M/IL

offline   (9)
October 5 2017 6:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i did not bump this thread. it gets bumped like once a month though.
Horse Goblin
Time Husk
288 Posts
20/M/NA

offline  mobile reply 
October 5 2017 7:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: tom.

lol thanks for bumping, brian curtin.

coming to faith is still by far the best thing that has ever happened to me. completely loving life right now. anyone interested in learning more, come talk to me.

Delusional
Kadesh
Kadesh
37,478 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (26)
October 5 2017 7:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Swartzwelder

Originally posted by:paradelights

Originally posted by:Wasted Years

I just think it's insanely egocentric to think that one out of hundreds of religions is the truth. It's also delusional to be that sure of something with no evidence whatsoever, but that's the definition of faith.

out of millions of answers to 2+2= 4.
The thing I like about Christianity is it doesn't require you to divorce you logic and reason. There is historical evidence that Jesus lived and died and rose again. In fact, that was the entire claim behind the explosion of 2000 converts. They claimed they saw the risen Christ. "Faith" is faith with the pre-knowledge of God, and then trusting in his promises. Of course, you can't scientifically prove God with a test tube, just like you can't scientifically prove George Washington walked the earth or how the Egyptians thought process worked (I mean that thought is proved with secondary evidence and seen through actions), you merely have indications of such with secondary evidence.

Logic and reason tell me that:
A: People don't die and comeback to life days later.
B: There's no scientifically possible way for a "virgin birth."
C: You can't walk on water without camera tricks or wires.

but hey, if God is powerful that can happen because He created everything. The thing is there the thing that began a wild fire of converts way back in 33 A.D. is people were "eyewitnesses" to this stuff. In fact men & women were literally willing to die for what they saw.
Horse Goblin
Time Husk
288 Posts
20/M/NA

offline  mobile reply 
October 5 2017 7:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Cum into the eyes of the gay God Jesus. Crank your hog upon his whipped bloody back and ejaculate into his screaming face.
Horse Goblin
Time Husk
288 Posts
20/M/NA

offline  mobile reply 
October 5 2017 7:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Also,

Plenty of people die for bullshit they see/hear, aka isis constantly blowing themselves to pieces.

So your argument, like every other you have made places you into the "questionable" category in relation to mental health/ability.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
October 6 2017 2:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Kadesh

I just think it's insanely egocentric to think that one out of hundreds of religions is the truth. It's also delusional to be that sure of something with no evidence whatsoever, but that's the definition of faith.

The thing I like about Christianity is it doesn't require you to divorce you logic and reason. There is historical evidence that Jesus lived and died and rose again. In fact, that was the entire claim behind the explosion of 2000 converts. They claimed they saw the risen Christ. "Faith" is faith with the pre-knowledge of God, and then trusting in his promises. Of course, you can't scientifically prove God with a test tube, just like you can't scientifically prove George Washington walked the earth or how the Egyptians thought process worked (I mean that thought is proved with secondary evidence and seen through actions), you merely have indications of such with secondary evidence.

but hey, if God is powerful that can happen because He created everything. The thing is there the thing that began a wild fire of converts way back in 33 A.D. is people were "eyewitnesses" to this stuff. In fact men & women were literally willing to die for what they saw.

The Branch Davidians and Aum Shinrikyo and Heaven's Gate, and Jonestown people were willing to die for what they thought they saw.
Horse Goblin
Time Husk
288 Posts
20/M/NA

offline  mobile reply 
October 6 2017 3:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Why are you not a man?
Racer X
lost in the ether
1,833 Posts
90/M/NY

offline   (3)
October 6 2017 6:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Kadesh

By the end of the first century, many were also willing to kill for the same beliefs. The neoplatonic humanism of apostolic Christianity had been eclipsed, co-opted, and corrupted by Paul and his followers.

And after that.....

Originally posted by: Racer X

There was infighting from the very beginning, even among the earliest gnostic communes. There is some evidence that evangelists like Paul and his followers eradicated other sects and that the Nag Hammadi cache was not being hidden from the Romans, but from other Christian groups.

Pagans were routinely persecuted and eradicated as the Word spread north into Europe, with few left to write their side of the story. It is believed that hundreds of thousands of pagans died at the hands of Charlemagne's forces alone, who leveled not only their villages and shrines but whole forests and sacred groves in his campaigns. Then there's the atrocities and pogroms of the Crusades, followed by those of the Inquisition. The Reformation saw multiple Christian faiths jockeying for power with varying levels of brutality, the Church of England being just one of the more well known in the English speaking world for sanctioning the persecution of Catholics and atrocities against the Irish. (Happy St. Patty's Day!) And all the while, hundreds of thousands of dissident voices, homosexuals, 'uppity women', Jews, and any 'others' outside the favor of whichever group of Christians were in power at any given moment were burned, hung, drowned or tortured to death as witches and heretics. Even animals were occasionally tried and tortured to death as vessels of Satan, like the sow of Savigny, a mature mother pig hung upside down until dead after it had defended its children from a boy that was tormenting them in 1457. Wolves were routinely tortured to death in Christian rituals and were rendered locally extinct in most of Western Europe in sanctified extermination campaigns, and there is at least one known case of a horse being crucified upside down as possessed after it accidentally threw its owner who later died.

In New World and Asian colonies, non Christians were often enslaved and worked to death. Jesuits helped cut a swath through the human population of the Americas north and south with the Word and contagion they carried with them. And contrary to Thanksgiving mythology, the Pilgrims were no friends to the indigenous population who were deemed subhuman even when they became Christians. And as slaves were brought from Africa by Christian slavers, hundreds of thousands were baptized by their evangelical Christian masters yet still raped, tortured, murdered, and worked to death indiscriminately by them.

So yeah, Jesus seems like he might have been a genuinely nice, educated, liberal rabbi who attempted to deconstruct some of the Old Testament's severity, but make no mistake, he has absolutely nothing to do with with the shitshow that came after him. To paraphrase Fred N., 'The last Christian died on the cross.'

Dong Ho
Time Husk
9 Posts
20/M/NA

November 14 2017 9:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
all threads All Threads ›› why are you not christian? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: why are you not christian?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?