forum Politics and Society ›› why are you not christian? ›› new reply Post Reply
PoliceJon,PoliceRed
*misanthropic
5,627 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (6)
November 18 2009 11:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
NO LORD OVER ALL OF THIS.JPEG
Eric Paradox
east bay grease
68,058 Posts
32/M/CA

offline     (33)
November 19 2009 12:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:PoliceJon,PoliceRed

Originally posted by: Eric Paradox

I grew up going to Sunday school and sort of believing. What always messed with my head the most was the prayer/talking to God part; I'd been talked about my whole life about the connection with God and importance of prayer, and no matter how many times I tried 'talking to God' I felt more and more like I was just sitting there talking to myself. Moreover, I felt less and less with every year that I fit in with anyone there at all, agreed with what they were saying, or believed in half the things they were talking about. Every year of my teenage life gave me less respect and interest in Christianity and I guess I stopped caring at all after about 12 or so.

there's my longwinded answer.

prayer does serve some relative purposes in life. "talking to god" basically IS like talking to yourself. but prayer is taught to be meditative. When you give a yourself complete time out to concentrate and let your mind organize your thoughts you'll think through effective ways of achieving immediate and future goals you set for yourself, while also searching through past regrets that you want to let go, by reflecting on them, and moving on. It's basically like assigning yourself an answer for past and future to allow for a strict focus on the present, to allow for a silencing of the unanswered thoughts of life, in order to make absolute right decisions. most people do it. some people just don't call it prayer. everybody assembles their own languages to guide themselves and the fact that you've sat there questioning it means that it's more powerful than you even realize. God, in all actuality, has little definition. No one has sought to define God besides God being inexplicable. An "unanswer" for your unanswered questions.

Every city we've built was for some purpose. every government was set up for some purpose. money was printed. marriages were consumated. children were born. what happens when we find out that none of these systems were ever perfect from the start? we panic. we preach end times. we wait to die.

I understand where you're coming from. However, it doesn't do well for someone's faith when you've had people your whole life talking about their supernatural experiences during prayer, acting as if PHYSICAL things happen during it (ie. hearing God talk back to you, physically feeling the tingling of his presence), and nothing ever comes of it to give you a hint that you're doing anything but thinking aloud, and that these people are doing anything but making up voices or deluding themselves.
PoliceJon,PoliceRed
*misanthropic
5,627 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (6)
November 19 2009 12:52 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by:PoliceJon,PoliceRed

I grew up going to Sunday school and sort of believing. What always messed with my head the most was the prayer/talking to God part; I'd been talked about my whole life about the connection with God and importance of prayer, and no matter how many times I tried 'talking to God' I felt more and more like I was just sitting there talking to myself. Moreover, I felt less and less with every year that I fit in with anyone there at all, agreed with what they were saying, or believed in half the things they were talking about. Every year of my teenage life gave me less respect and interest in Christianity and I guess I stopped caring at all after about 12 or so.

there's my longwinded answer.

prayer does serve some relative purposes in life. "talking to god" basically IS like talking to yourself. but prayer is taught to be meditative. When you give a yourself complete time out to concentrate and let your mind organize your thoughts you'll think through effective ways of achieving immediate and future goals you set for yourself, while also searching through past regrets that you want to let go, by reflecting on them, and moving on. It's basically like assigning yourself an answer for past and future to allow for a strict focus on the present, to allow for a silencing of the unanswered thoughts of life, in order to make absolute right decisions. most people do it. some people just don't call it prayer. everybody assembles their own languages to guide themselves and the fact that you've sat there questioning it means that it's more powerful than you even realize. God, in all actuality, has little definition. No one has sought to define God besides God being inexplicable. An "unanswer" for your unanswered questions.

Every city we've built was for some purpose. every government was set up for some purpose. money was printed. marriages were consumated. children were born. what happens when we find out that none of these systems were ever perfect from the start? we panic. we preach end times. we wait to die.

I understand where you're coming from. However, it doesn't do well for someone's faith when you've had people your whole life talking about their supernatural experiences during prayer, acting as if PHYSICAL things happen during it (ie. hearing God talk back to you, physically feeling the tingling of his presence), and nothing ever comes of it to give you a hint that you're doing anything but thinking aloud, and that these people are doing anything but making up voices or deluding themselves.

you're absolutely right. that is something that does seem a bit ridiculous. sometimes when you come to a certain thought or idea though it's so profound that it's as if it came from nowhere. And you assign it to being from God, because you no longer think about it any further than that. And some people assign great coincidences to God too.

to be honest i am playing devil's advocate here because i have experienced actual inexplicable events in christian settings, although i can not say i believe in a christian god.

consider prayer for healing:
your brain operates on several levels of measurable wavelengths. prayer gives off one of the highest measurable frequencies, and when combined in number, the waves multiply to seem to have a supernatural "healing" effect. perhaps the human species has evolved to find ways of healing their sick and wounded. you hear about "healings" here and there about people being cured from certain sickness or disease. whether it's "supernatural" or just mental, it's all in the power of our minds.

Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
45/M/PA

offline     (25)
November 19 2009 1:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I simply don't have the faith. Even if I were inclined to believe, I certainly wouldn't believe in the Judeo/Christian/Islamic god which is basically a tribal/regional deity that got way bigger than the rest of the gods in that locale.
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
41/M/NJ

offline   (5)
November 19 2009 1:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Faith or no
that Jesus dude had some good ideas
then a bunch of dudes had to fuck it all up and incorporate into a church. Best way to screw something good up is to let too many people get a piece of it.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,190 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (20)
November 19 2009 8:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm not Christian because I don't believe in alot of the stories the bible states. I think the idea is good but I can't take it as facts like one is suppose to. I believe that Jesus was a great preacher but suffered a bit of what I like to call the "Whisper Down The Lane" effect. I think he did some awesome things but by the time it got to someone who wrote them down it was blown way out of proportion.

I have no qualms with Christians. I can fully respect their beliefs. Essentially the message that they support is of good nature. My real dilemma is with the Catholic Church in particular. They seem to be full of hate. They preach to fear God rather than love him. It seems they put way more emphasis on the vengeful God than the compassionate one. I'm sorry but i can't worship a diety that is hoping for the worst.

I have not been a Christian for many years. I was baptized and confirmed to a Methodist Church but i denounce it. Religion has always fascinated me and it wasn't until I stumbled upon Buddhism could I truly identify with a "religion". My belief structure has always stayed the same but the teachings in Buddhism make the most sense of me. Sure I'm a little off with what I feels happen if you reach Nirvana, Heaven, or whatever you want to call it but Mahayana Buddhism is what is the closest to my personal beliefs.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,190 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (20)
November 19 2009 8:50 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Now that i've read through this entire thread I want to touch on some personal feelings on certain subjects.

Anti-Christians

I don't get them. I'm not talking about non-believers or those of anyother religion but people that claim that they hate God or Jesus. I can't hate a man that preach for good. Even if by chance both Jesus and God are a figment of our imaginations, they still stand for good things and want the best in people. Even if the Bible is a complete work of fiction it still has, for the most part, a good message. If Heaven & Hell really exist, why the fuck would anyone want to go to hell?

Prayers

I personally don't believe in any form of Divine Intervention which includes prayers. I think that we were put on this place to figure it all out for ourselves. If you fuck up you pay for it. If you are good then you will be rewarded. Prayers to me are more of a psychological way of dealing with your problems.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,495 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 19 2009 8:54 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

Anti-Christians

I don't get them. I'm not talking about non-believers or those of anyother religion but people that claim that they hate God or Jesus.

i think it'd be pretty easy to hate the christian god. not jesus, he was clearly a nice guy, but god seems like a bit of a tit at times.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,428 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 19 2009 8:57 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
why do so many people think the Bible is supposed to be taken as fact????

maybe that is what Baptist Christians (like matt) think.....but plenty of Catholic priests have told me over the years to take the bible (especially the old testament) as a teaching tool.....not as that the stuff you read in there actually happened
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,428 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 19 2009 8:58 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Davey.

Anti-Christians

I don't get them. I'm not talking about non-believers or those of anyother religion but people that claim that they hate God or Jesus.

i think it'd be pretty easy to hate the christian god. not jesus, he was clearly a nice guy, but god seems like a bit of a tit at times.

same being
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,495 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 19 2009 8:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: sidney

maybe that is what Baptist Christians (like matt) think.....but plenty of Catholic priests have told me over the years to take the bible (especially the old testament) as a teaching tool.....not as that the stuff you read in there actually happened

well thats a pretty easy get out really isnt it.
they'll tell you some of it is allegory and metaphor and point at other things on the same page and tell you to live your life by it. 'the selling your daughter into slavery part, you can ignore that, but homos are going to hell.'
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,495 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 19 2009 8:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Anti-Christians

same being

i understand that.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,428 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 19 2009 9:10 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

well thats a pretty easy get out really isnt it.
they'll tell you some of it is allegory and metaphor and point at other things on the same page and tell you to live your life by it. 'the selling your daughter into slavery part, you can ignore that, but homos are going to hell.'

again....you seem to only know the things that someone like Matt would say......Baptists typically take everything from the bible literally.

also the church i got married in at the beach has homo's in it all the time attending.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,495 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 19 2009 9:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i'm just saying if youre choosing to take moral guidance from the bible, you have no choice but to cherry-pick arguments out of things you don't agree with. the parts that dont apply to you you can say arent supposed to be taken literally. its a very easy get-out.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,190 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (20)
November 19 2009 9:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I personally think the Catholic Church can be blamed for alot of the skeptism and anti-christian feelings. I think they are a poor representation of the entire Christian faith. They are some hateful hypocritical sons of bitches. Yes i know that's a broad generalization and there are exceptions but you can't really argue against me.

Confession is bullshit. If you believe that God can hear you, you don't need a middle man.

Original Sin...get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. A baby did nothing. I love how they just changed their stance on this too. After nearly 2000 years of saying an unbaptized baby goes to hell, they change their minds. How does that happen?

Bastards - another huge WTF? you're telling me because a child, who did nothing wrong was born out of wedlock, they go to hell too? or if a marriage is anulled then the child is considered a bastard too? FACEPALM x a million.
forum Politics and Society ›› why are you not christian? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: why are you not christian?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?