forum Politics and Society ›› why are you not christian? ›› new reply Post Reply
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,555 Posts
42/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 18 2009 6:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Pollcat

What I find funny is that most of the people on here who are anti God complain more about life then those who believe in God

also some people really have warped opinions on how they think people that have faith are "held down" or blinded by the their faith
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,555 Posts
42/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 18 2009 6:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:insomnispense

Originally posted by: Pollcat

Being a Christian has sure kept me down. I got a great job, beautiful wife, amazing friends/family etc....

What I find funny is that most of the people on here who are anti God complain more about life then those who believe in God

so? what does that prove? that this magical god favors those who believe in "him"? riiiiiiight.

i don't believe any part of the christian faith (and haven't since i was very young) because it is just so insanely illogical. it dumbfounds me that even some of the most intelligent people on this planet truly believe in something so ridiculous. furthermore, i think christianity is a crutch for those who fear death. sometimes i wish i could buy into it, just so i wouldn't be so goddamn afraid of losing my life someday. however, i can't base my life around such an asinine ideology. it's a well written story and all but i just can't do it.

here is one of those warped opinions.....
Metal til Im sixty
listen to neurosis
10,733 Posts
33/M/VA

offline   (10)
November 18 2009 6:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:tom.

the fact of the matter is: if someone with a 135 IQ and 20 years of biblical research exists and believes in god then it can't be as ridiculous and illogical as you say it is.

it's fine to not believe in christianity. i don't. but the people who compare it to the spaghetti monster or whatever hold no credibility to me because i don't think they made it past deuteronomy.

Coming from someone who has read the bible cover to cover several times over and done plenty of studying, both forced and unforced, of most of the chapters in depth, I can say it is relatively ludicrous. It is filled to the brim with racism, hypocrisy, slavery, and most importantly contradiction. Any scholar or student of history, or really any school of thought, is aware that if a piece of work is filled contradictory ideas and idea patterns, intended or otherwise, then that work can be discredited as bad historical analysis.

I personally have a hard time putting my entire faith into a God from a book that is filled with such wonderful philosophical whammys as "I'm god, and I'll let you do whatever you want to do, but because I'm god I also know what you're going to do before you're going to do it. Also don't question that."
John Barlow
Vodka Party
17,778 Posts
67/M/PA

offline     (15)
November 18 2009 6:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'd also like to clarify that bitterness of my responses are not due to any disdain for Christians. I have always had a lot of Christians in my life that were and are good to me. I would like to have faith in something/someone/whatever. I have tried to very hard my whole life. I just can't. If I said I did, I'd be full of shit, so fuck that.

If you try to hang out with someone and be a friend to them, but they're always beating the shit out of you and stealing your shoes; stop hanging out with them.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,538 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 18 2009 6:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
for the same reason i'm not muslim, hindu or anything else.
i like evidence.
Dianana
8====D
66,461 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (8)
November 18 2009 6:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm not down with any religions because I don't believe in folklore. It's interesting to learn about them though. Like stealing a Greek god to "create" Satan.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,538 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 18 2009 7:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
for real yo.

learning about religion is fun. i like to read as much about as many faiths as i can.
PoliceJon,PoliceRed
*misanthropic
5,627 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (6)
November 18 2009 7:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
some people have a good childhood, some people have bad. i think that if everybody in the world just believed in their children as much as they believed in god, it'd be so much closer to living a REAL afterlife. They are the only thing that continue after you're dead. Granted some people don't want kids or want to be homo but so far life has made room for all people, because gay people instinctively prevent overpopulation by being too fucking weird to fuck.

step one find love, step two find your holy trinity.
Brett Weir
im gay
45,233 Posts
34/M/NY

online   (8)
November 18 2009 8:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: talking shit

Originally posted by:yantastic

Jesus's teachings seem pretty solid. Christian faith is retarded though.

Originally posted by: talking shit

Originally posted by:tyrod24

I'll substitute faith for logic any day of the week.

Davey.
Baby Cole
43,538 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (13)
November 18 2009 8:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
why do you choose to capitalise the first letters of certain words?
VVes 570
m.t.f.u.
25,328 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (17)
November 18 2009 8:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
the Forgotten Realms gods are cooler anyway
RazorRamon
15,258 Posts
32/M/PA

offline   (15)
November 18 2009 8:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
im an atheist because i went to catholic school for 12 years. after getting fed the same rap for that long the bullshit makes itself evident.
addy
Seamless
2,945 Posts
32/M/NC

offline   (4)
November 18 2009 8:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Davey.

why do you choose to capitalise the first letters of certain words?

so annoying.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
61/M/MA

offline   (9)
November 18 2009 8:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Because while I fully accept that there may be a god, I do not need any god to make me try to be a good person either through some sort of "grace" or through extortion using eternal damnation.
PoliceJon,PoliceRed
*misanthropic
5,627 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (6)
November 18 2009 11:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Eric Paradox

I grew up going to Sunday school and sort of believing. What always messed with my head the most was the prayer/talking to God part; I'd been talked about my whole life about the connection with God and importance of prayer, and no matter how many times I tried 'talking to God' I felt more and more like I was just sitting there talking to myself. Moreover, I felt less and less with every year that I fit in with anyone there at all, agreed with what they were saying, or believed in half the things they were talking about. Every year of my teenage life gave me less respect and interest in Christianity and I guess I stopped caring at all after about 12 or so.

there's my longwinded answer.

prayer does serve some relative purposes in life. "talking to god" basically IS like talking to yourself. but prayer is taught to be meditative. When you give a yourself complete time out to concentrate and let your mind organize your thoughts you'll think through effective ways of achieving immediate and future goals you set for yourself, while also searching through past regrets that you want to let go, by reflecting on them, and moving on. It's basically like assigning yourself an answer for past and future to allow for a strict focus on the present, to allow for a silencing of the unanswered thoughts of life, in order to make absolute right decisions. most people do it. some people just don't call it prayer. everybody assembles their own languages to guide themselves and the fact that you've sat there questioning it means that it's more powerful than you even realize. God, in all actuality, has little definition. No one has sought to define God besides God being inexplicable. An "unanswer" for your unanswered questions.

Every city we've built was for some purpose. every government was set up for some purpose. money was printed. marriages were consumated. children were born. what happens when we find out that none of these systems were ever perfect from the start? we panic. we preach end times. we wait to die.

forum Politics and Society ›› why are you not christian? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: why are you not christian?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?