forum Politics and Society ›› why are you not christian? ›› new reply Post Reply
hanszimmer
breeze 'em out
21,316 Posts
33/M/NY

offline   (7)
November 18 2009 5:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Pollcat

Originally posted by:insomnispense

Being a Christian has sure kept me down. I got a great job, beautiful wife, amazing friends/family etc....

What I find funny is that most of the people on here who are anti God complain more about life then those who believe in God

so? what does that prove? that this magical god favors those who believe in "him"? riiiiiiight.

i don't believe any part of the christian faith (and haven't since i was very young) because it is just so insanely illogical. it dumbfounds me that even some of the most intelligent people on this planet truly believe in something so ridiculous. furthermore, i think christianity is a crutch for those who fear death. sometimes i wish i could buy into it, just so i wouldn't be so goddamn afraid of losing my life someday. however, i can't base my life around such an asinine ideology. it's a well written story and all but i just can't do it.

Yes I fear death you hit the nail on the head. actually you are wrong I dont fear death but welcome it.

well of course. you're claiming you're a christian, so this makes sense. you believe there's a heaven waiting for you. a lot of christians are okay with dying because they have that to rely on. you indirectly proved my point actually. that being said, i don't like to fuck with anyone else's happiness or beliefs. i just posted in here to share my own but i'm not one of those assholes who goes around saying "there is no god and if you believe it you're a dummy!" nah, believe what you want. in a very miniscule way, i'm envious that i don't have the means to accept it. i think i would be a lot less neurotic if i could. that's just not the case though.
tyrod24
dixie
11,085 Posts
66/M/OH

offline   (16)
November 18 2009 5:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
hanszimmer
breeze 'em out
21,316 Posts
33/M/NY

offline   (7)
November 18 2009 5:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:tom.

Originally posted by: Time Husk

Being a Christian has sure kept me down. I got a great job, beautiful wife, amazing friends/family etc....

What I find funny is that most of the people on here who are anti God complain more about life then those who believe in God

so? what does that prove? that this magical god favors those who believe in "him"? riiiiiiight.

i don't believe any part of the christian faith because it is just so insanely illogical. it dumbfounds me that even some of the most intelligent people on this planet truly believe in something so ridiculous. furthermore, i think christianity is a crutch for those who fear death. sometimes i wish i could buy into it, just so i wouldn't be so goddamn afraid of losing my life someday. however, i can't base my life around such an asinine ideology. it's a well written story and all but i just can't do it.

End thread. It boggles my mind that some of you actually think you came from Adam and Eve considering some of you call me stupid.

it boggles my mind that some of you actually think you know the complexity and history of christianity.

never claimed to. i know what i know and what i believe and have felt this way for quite some time. being void of the idea of god makes sense to me. just like being without the idea of god frightens and makes zero sense to christians.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (4)
November 18 2009 5:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:RyanSchwenksville

this thread turned to nonsense real quick. it never had a chance

i'm kind of amazed this thread took such a nosedive without matt's help.
tom.
^__^
62,529 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 18 2009 5:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Chereth Cutestory

i may not believe in it, but i respect anything that is powerful enough to influence martyrdom.

So you respect the power of Islam and its influence on people to fly planes into our buildings, strap bombs to themselves and walk into subways?

absolutely.
but your analogy is like comparing beer and fraternity brothers. they are not one and the same.

I'm not trying to argue that the martyrdom of Christ is the same as the martyrdom of Mohammed Atta and friends.

There are no longer differing degrees of martyrdom in our times. Christianity, for the most part, does not explicitly instruct its followers to martyr themselves for the good of the faith and the eventual take over of the world. Or I should say, not anymore. Again, I'm looking at this generally.

Islam directly orders this. This is what we are up against as a world. People who believe that their book is the final revelation of god, and are willing to do anything to make that the way of the land. This does not deserve your, or anyones respect.

you should read what the bible says about "false prophets."
there isn't much difference between the foundation of the two faiths. anything can be taken out of context and become a redeveloped thought though.
basically what it boils down to is shitty people be shitty people.
Eric Paradox
east bay grease
68,058 Posts
32/M/CA

offline     (33)
November 18 2009 6:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I grew up going to Sunday school and sort of believing. What always messed with my head the most was the prayer/talking to God part; I'd been talked about my whole life about the connection with God and importance of prayer, and no matter how many times I tried 'talking to God' I felt more and more like I was just sitting there talking to myself. Moreover, I felt less and less with every year that I fit in with anyone there at all, agreed with what they were saying, or believed in half the things they were talking about. Every year of my teenage life gave me less respect and interest in Christianity and I guess I stopped caring at all after about 12 or so.

there's my longwinded answer.
Eric Paradox
east bay grease
68,058 Posts
32/M/CA

offline     (33)
November 18 2009 6:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
ps if I had any further interest in Christianity, "matt kelly" is a good enough reason for me.
tom.
^__^
62,529 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 18 2009 6:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: insomnispense

Originally posted by: Time Husk

i don't believe any part of the christian faith because it is just so insanely illogical. it dumbfounds me that even some of the most intelligent people on this planet truly believe in something so ridiculous. furthermore, i think christianity is a crutch for those who fear death. sometimes i wish i could buy into it, just so i wouldn't be so goddamn afraid of losing my life someday. however, i can't base my life around such an asinine ideology. it's a well written story and all but i just can't do it.

End thread. It boggles my mind that some of you actually think you came from Adam and Eve considering some of you call me stupid.

it boggles my mind that some of you actually think you know the complexity and history of christianity.

never claimed to. i know what i know and what i believe and have felt this way for quite some time. being void of the idea of god makes sense to me. just like being without the idea of god frightens and makes zero sense to christians.

the fact of the matter is: if someone with a 135 IQ and 20 years of biblical research exists and believes in god then it can't be as ridiculous and illogical as you say it is.

it's fine to not believe in christianity. i don't. but the people who compare it to the spaghetti monster or whatever hold no credibility to me because i don't think they made it past deuteronomy.
DennisQ
who-bah-stank
24,541 Posts
32/M/NY

offline   (2)
November 18 2009 6:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

i may not believe in it, but i respect anything that is powerful enough to influence martyrdom.

So you respect the power of Islam and its influence on people to fly planes into our buildings, strap bombs to themselves and walk into subways?

absolutely.
but your analogy is like comparing beer and fraternity brothers. they are not one and the same.

I'm not trying to argue that the martyrdom of Christ is the same as the martyrdom of Mohammed Atta and friends.

There are no longer differing degrees of martyrdom in our times. Christianity, for the most part, does not explicitly instruct its followers to martyr themselves for the good of the faith and the eventual take over of the world. Or I should say, not anymore. Again, I'm looking at this generally.

Islam directly orders this. This is what we are up against as a world. People who believe that their book is the final revelation of god, and are willing to do anything to make that the way of the land. This does not deserve your, or anyones respect.

you should read what the bible says about "false prophets."
there isn't much difference between the foundation of the two faiths. anything can be taken out of context and become a redeveloped thought though.
basically what it boils down to is shitty people be shitty people.

When the Hadith, essentially the sayings of Mohammed and what are supposed to be learned from those sayings, a book that is used as a fundamental handbook of Islamic law, says that the only punishment for someone who leaves the faith is death, or that husbands are allowed to abuse their wives, don't tell me that these things can be "taken out of context." It means exactly what it says. This is not a case of "shitty people be shitty people." These are direct orders from their god.

But I digress. This is a thread about Christianity, not Islam.
Metal til Im sixty
listen to neurosis
10,733 Posts
32/M/VA

offline   (10)
November 18 2009 6:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I grew up in a mildly religious immediate family (i.e. we went to church on sundays and wednesdays and i did the whole youth group thing, but we didn't really every talk about it outside of church, for the most part). My father encouraged myself and my sister to go to church, but to also explore and expand our idea base, as he thought that it was important to challenge your belief structure in order to gain confidence in your Christian faith. This was a blessing to myself, and a curse to everyone else in our family.

Starting in high school I began to question some of the concepts that were being taught and also started noticing how flawed most of my peers and teachers were along with noticing their inability to accept those flaws. This, along with several tragic situations within my community caused my faith to wain significantly, but on a very personal level, as I had no intention of blowing the minds of everyone in my extended family, so i sucked up it and kept pretending until after i got out of high school.

I continued to research world religion, as for a while I thought perhaps Christianity just wasn't the right religion for me to continue pursuing and that perhaps some of the eastern religions would substitute and fit my belief structure more soundly. This, if nothing else, just reinforced my disbelief in all things spiritual. All I saw was crazy hierarchical structure doing more repression than uplifting, more scaring than reassurance, and trillions of dollars (euros, whatever) that flow into a non taxable organization that obviously doesn't use enough of that money for the good of the world.

I am now not only an athiest, but also an anti-theist. Religion has served its purpose in the past, and is completely unnecessary at this stage in human evolution. It does nothing but detract from scientific and cultural advancement while simultaneously siphoning money from the rich, the poor, and various governmental institutions while not providing enough of the assistance that they claim to provide.

pat burke
righh righh
3,411 Posts
12/M/NJ

offline     (9)
November 18 2009 6:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
when i was younger i got in trouble for putting the jesus bread in my pocket instead of eating it for communion. that shit tasted like cardboard
tom.
^__^
62,529 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 18 2009 6:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah, i'm going to stop trying to change opinions and just read them.
Pollcat
afam / aasr 32°
23,560 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 18 2009 6:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

yeah, i'm going to stop trying to change opinions and just read them.

move to md with me and we can start are own religion.
addy
Seamless
2,945 Posts
31/M/NC

offline   (4)
November 18 2009 6:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Being born and raised in the south I have had it shoved in my face at every waking moment. My mom thought I was going to be a "bad seed" at the end of 7th grade so she sent me to a hardline southern baptist school which pretty much tried there damnedest to brainwash me (i had to sit in "chapel" for 3 hours a day, 1 1/2 hour bible class as well). Got expelled at the end of my 9th grade year with a couple of friends for wanting to do a play for the talent show called "Satan on Ice" (like Jesus Christ Superstar). Got to public school and realized I loved looking at cleavage since there wasn't an insane dress code. Started snorting pills in the lunch room and the rest is history.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,428 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 18 2009 6:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by: sidney

another anti-religion post on PAHC

not possible

this isn't an "anti-religion" thread. i don't bash christianity.
i just asked for people's reasons as to why they aren't christian.

seriously?

lol
forum Politics and Society ›› why are you not christian? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: why are you not christian?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?