forum Politics and Society ›› why are you not christian? ›› new reply Post Reply
Guenhwyvar.
murfin&durfin
515 Posts
24/F/PA

offline   (8)
April 29 2012 3:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i was raised in a strict catholic family
therefore
i despise catholicism
jdubit
Time Husk
782 Posts
M/NA

offline   (3)
May 2 2012 4:14 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: tom.

Originally posted by: crunkmoose

Originally posted by: joe vena

what is "good," if not just a word to describe something relatively pleasurable to personal well-being?

give me a fucking break

it was just a question...

It was an inane, self-serving, and leading question that starts off with a false premise. You're better than this, Tom.

no it's not. it's basic ethics. it's one of the most foundational questions that society is built upon but for some reason, it upsets you (and whoever else) that i asked it. i want to gather why.

ignorance is bliss?
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,319 Posts
36/M/NY

offline   (4)
May 2 2012 8:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
the bible is like the brittany spears of ancient texts that talk about these things though. read plato, read lao tzu, read the zend avesta; there are so many better books out there from this period to look at if you want some truly brilliant insight from that time. the king james soap opera can really take a back seat.

that being said, i do like ecclesiastes, the psalms, and the books of john and matthew. those are people i would like to meet. but so much of the rest is just such blatantly self serving propaganda, documenting and advocating some of the worst bigotry and just generally shitty behavior in history. and the writings of paul have no business being in there at all and have done about as much damage to the world as words can. read more, preach less.
jdubit
Time Husk
782 Posts
M/NA

offline   (3)
May 2 2012 2:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Jason Voorheees

the bible is like the brittany spears of ancient texts that talk about these things though. read plato, read lao tzu, read the zend avesta; there are so many better books out there from this period to look at if you want some truly brilliant insight from that time. the king james soap opera can really take a back seat.

that being said, i do like ecclesiastes, the psalms, and the books of john and matthew. those are people i would like to meet. but so much of the rest is just such blatantly self serving propaganda, documenting and advocating some of the worst bigotry and just generally shitty behavior in history. and the writings of paul have no business being in there at all and have done about as much damage to the world as words can. read more, preach less.

the real difference between the ancient texts that you mentioned and the Bible is that the Bible actually has a solution for the problems mankind is facing today.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,319 Posts
36/M/NY

offline   (4)
May 2 2012 3:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lol
jdubit
Time Husk
782 Posts
M/NA

offline   (3)
May 2 2012 5:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

lol

i'm glad you find that funny?
Dickscraper
dickacraper
16,406 Posts
27/M/IL

offline   (11)
May 2 2012 6:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I found it funny too.
Kadesh
Kadesh
36,852 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (31)
May 2 2012 11:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
" brittany spears of ancient texts"
ha, never really heard someone think this about the "bib-le" ha

.....not going to try screaming "the bible's better!" I've talked to alot of people. I can't change your mind, you choose what you choose. I choose what I choose. I just want to say, it's a good book, with some deep insights. If you see that, that would be good for you too. Alright, I'm going away for another long period. I'll pop up again.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,319 Posts
36/M/NY

offline   (4)
May 2 2012 11:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i agree, and jesus is one of the nicest characters ever described in all of literature. but some of the others in there, not so much. you can start with leviticus and kings; even jesus seemed to want to deconstruct the harshness of the old testament. [kind of the reason why they killed him.] and the funny thing is, there's a decent chance that he read plato himself, and maybe even heard about texts like the zend avesta and lao tzu, as an intellectual rabbi himself, interested in the world around him. [there were actually two books of plato found in the nag hammadi jar along with the gnostic texts, so this really is a possibility, especially if you look at their possible influence on the change in tenor from the old to new testament.]
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,177 Posts
28/M/OH

offline  mobile reply   (15)
May 2 2012 11:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: ass nipples

i believe i can fly
i believe i can touch the sky
i think about it every night and day
spread my wings and fly away

jdubit
Time Husk
782 Posts
M/NA

offline   (3)
May 3 2012 3:39 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

i agree, and jesus is one of the nicest characters ever described in all of literature. but some of the others in there, not so much. you can start with leviticus and kings; even he seemed to want to deconstruct the harshness of the old testament. and the funny thing is, there's a decent chance that he read plato himself, and maybe even heard about texts like the zend avesta and lao tzu, as an intellectual rabbi interested in the world around him. [there were actually two books of plato found in the nag hammadi jar along with the gnostic texts, so this really is a possibility, especially if you look at their possible influence on the change in tenor from the old to new testament.]

speculation is fun
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,319 Posts
36/M/NY

offline   (4)
May 3 2012 5:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
lol - you should know.
xnxx
I'm 5
1,788 Posts
24/M/FL

offline     (6)
May 8 2012 10:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: I am rock hard

If there's a second way to see this (which I'm assuming there is), what do the eyes turn into?
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
18,342 Posts
31/M/NA

offline   (1)
May 10 2012 4:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
2 black guys.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,880 Posts
41/M/PA

offline     (23)
May 19 2012 2:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: deadlift

god, i could use some cock right now.

forum Politics and Society ›› why are you not christian? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: why are you not christian?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band